Action for Carers Surrey presentation for  6th nov
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5

Action for Carers Surrey presentation for 6th nov



Details for parent carers on the benefits and assessments they can ask for to help them care for their disabled child

Details for parent carers on the benefits and assessments they can ask for to help them care for their disabled child



Total Views
Views on SlideShare
Embed Views



1 Embed 54 54


Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • Carers Recognition & Service Act 1995 <br /> Carers & Disabled Children Act 2000 <br />
  • In theory, parent carers have a right to a separate Carers Needs assessment, as for the carers of adults. In practice however, your own needs and your need for a break should be considered as part of your child’s assessment by Surrey County Council Children’s services, if eligible, under the Children Act. <br />
  • Part of the discussion during your child’s assessment needs to centre on your needs as a parents <br /> You should be able to discuss: <br /> how you feel about your caring role <br /> whether you are coping with the level of care you are providing now and how this might change in the future <br /> what help you need to be able to carry on providing care <br /> your health – is it suffering because you are a carer? <br /> What happens in emergency – a contingency plan should be put in place in case you are suddenly unable to care. <br /> It is important to ensure that your needs in relation to employment ( do you want to return to work or are you having difficulty juggling work and care), training ( do you want to learn new shkills so you can go back to work?), education, leisure, maintaining relationships, social/ family life are discussed with you and taken into account when planning any package of care for your child <br /> Make sure you make these clear to your social worker. <br /> If you are entitled to social care support, any package of care provided by the local authority should include a break if you have indicated this is something you need <br /> Making sure your own needs are fully addressed is as important for your child’s welfare as addressing their needs <br /> After all, you are the one who is providing their care 24/7 <br />
  • The Local Government Ombudsman in Report on case against LB Croydon back in 2009 said <br /> The failure properly to consider the social care needs of the entire family when considering what provision would be best for the disabled child was maladministration and service failure <br />
  • These are payments made to support parents who have a disabled child under 18 living in Surrey  who are not currently receiving services from Surrey County Council children’s services/ don’t have a social worker. Parents cannot apply directly themselves but anyone working with a family can apply on your behalf - such as the local carers support workers or one of our ACS team, teachers and Home School Link workers, nurses and health visitors, Children’s Centre managers, Early Years Support co-odinators etc - having completed either a Child Assessment Framework form or Carers Support assessment with you. <br /> Carer Break Grants can be used to fund a family holiday, a short break for parents, a training course for a parent, childcare to give a parent a break, a contribution towards your child accessing play or activities, days out, equipment to help you as a parent carer and much more. Once the application has been submitted, you will be contacted to discuss your needs, with a payment following shortly afterwards. <br /> For more details, speak to any of the professionals working with you or your child, or phone the <br />
  • ACS Services: <br /> Moving and Handling advice to help you with safely lifting and moving your child to avoid injury to yourself <br /> Advice on juggling work and caring or help with skills to return to work or access training from our Learning and Work service <br /> Support for any brothers and sisters of your disabled child from our Surrey Young Carers service <br />

Action for Carers Surrey presentation for  6th nov Action for Carers Surrey presentation for 6th nov Presentation Transcript

  • Parent Carers Your rights to a Carers assessment Jane Thornton CEO, Action for Carers Surrey
  • Your rights as a Parent Carer Parent carers of children under 18 have similar rights to other carers but the way that some services are offered to them is different
  • Carers Needs assessment Parent carers rights same as for the carers of adults. Usually considered as part of your child’s assessment
  • What should be discussed as part of this assessment Help to care for your child Your own needs to maintain a life outside of your caring role A break from your caring role
  • If this doesn’t happen Local Government Ombudsman ruling considers this to be maladministration
  • Parent Carer Break Grant Parents who have a disabled child under 18 living in Surrey Not currently receiving services Apply via range of professionals
  • Support for all Carers Carers Allowance GP Carers Break payment Specialist carers services from Action for Carers Surrey Local carers support schemes ( some with specialist workers for parent carers)
  • Contact us Tel: 01483 302748 Short Breaks team email: 01372 833638