1. About FSC Interactive
•Social Media Marketing
•Search Engine Optimization
2. First Things First
You Need a Strategy
3. • What are your Goals
• Who is your Audience
• What are your Options
• What are the Tactics
• How will you measure Success?
• Visitors to New Orleans looking to get a “behind the
• Locals looking to explore the city in a new way
• What channels do they use?
• How do they communicate?
• No one gets your brand like you
Growth, Reach, Engagement.
• Facebook Fans – New Likes vs. Unlikes
• Facebook Interactions – Post Likes, Comments and Shares
• Facebook Reach – page views, content impressions
• Twitter Followers – New Followers vs. Unfollows
• Twitter Interactions – Retweets, Replies, Favorites, Mentions,
• Twitter Reach – impressions/potential new followers
• Instagram Growth – New Followers
• Instagram Engagement – Comments, Likes
• Increase in Organic traffic to Website
• Increase in Referral traffic to Website
• Increase in mentions of Brand across the web
7. The Four C’s of Social Media
Content – Content is king. Always has been, always will be. The digital world
requires more content, but it can be repurposed content.
Consistency – In Social Media, it is better to be consistent than to have rare
moments of greatness. You should be posting to Twitter and Facebook daily.
Customization – Setting yourself apart is key to standing out. You need a
customized look on both Facebook and Twitter so fans and followers know
who you are and what you do.
Community – The most important part of Social Media. It is not enough to
get fans and followers, you must provide value for them.
8. We know the digital era requires more content,
not less. And it requires content edited and
packaged in ways that help user access and allow
for advertising placement.
– Tom Curley, CEO of The Associated Press
9. What to Post
• News About Your Business
• Blog Posts and Press Releases
• New Orleans Events
• Information About Your Business
• …Just About Anything!
10. “Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are,
what you believe, shine through every sentence you write,
every piece you finish.”
- John Jakes, author
12. Current BEDT Branding
Colin B. Tyler vs. YBSPTNO vs. BEDT
13. Create a Schedule
(and stick to it!)
You forgot the
first rule of mass
GIVE THE PEOPLE
- James Bond,
15. How to Customize Your Social
• Facebook Tabs – Shortstack App
• Facebook Cover Photo
• Facebook Profile Picture
• Twitter Background
• Twitter Profile
• Twitter Cover Photo
/kəˈmyunɪti/ noun, plural -ties.
a social, religious, occupational, or other group
sharing common characteristics or interests and
perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some
respect from the larger society within which it
17. Anyone you
with, even if
time, is a
part of your
25. What is Facebook?
• A social networking site intended to connect
friends, family, and business associates.
• The largest social networking site in the world
• Allows for open dialogue between a Brand
• Allows for Brand PDA – public display of
26. Why Facebook is an Important Marketing
• Largest network available and it’s everywhere
(computer, mobile, tablets)
• Highly customizable – Forms, Vanity URL, Images,
• Your audience is THERE
27. Using Your Facebook Page as a
Engaging on Facebook as a Page
Customizing Your Page
Growing your Community through Targeted Ads
Measuring Success with Insights
28. Admin Panel
29. Admin Panel:
-Managing Your Page
Your Page Profile
30. Being Your Brand on Facebook
31. Use Facebook AS Your Brand
32. Engage With Things You Like
33. Customize Your Page
34. Page Settings
35. Cover Photo
36. Customized Tab
37. Customized Tab
38. Customized Tab
39. Customized Tab
40. Cover Photo/Milestones
Add Milestones as
major dates on your
41. Using Facebook Ads
42. Create an Ad
43. Facebook Ad Targeting
• Location: Country, State, City or Zip Code
• Precise Interests (ie: New Orleans Saints or
• Categories (ie: Travel or Sports)
• Connections: Already a Fan, Not a Fan, Friend
of a Fan
44. Facebook Ad Targeting
• Custom Audience
• Sexual Orientation
• Education Level: College Graduate, In College,
In High School
45. Facebook Ad Placement
• Desktop: Newsfeed, Right Hand Column
• Mobile Only: Newsfeed
46. Facebook Ad Advanced Audiences
• Custom Audience: use your newsletter
database to target people on Facebook
• Saved Target Group: save a target
demographic that you are trying to reach
47. Other Paid Promotion
• Promoted Posts: choose to
promote a status update on
your Facebook Page
• Promoted Page: choose to
promote your page
48. Four Keys to Facebook Success
• Use Facebook to connect with current and
• Maintain a consistent flow of communication
• Integrate all of your Facebook efforts into
other marketing efforts
• Create and maintain a professional and
49. What is Twitter?
• A micro-blogging social networking site that
allows users to share information in 140-
characters or less
• An easy way to reach a broad, national (or
• The fastest, simplest way to stay close to
everything you care about.
50. Why do People Use Twitter?
1. Immediacy and Instant Gratification
2. You can easily listen to what people are
saying about you (and respond!)
3. Broader reach and wider community
51. Even More Reasons People Use Twitter
• Communicate and engage 22% (Relational Motivation)
• ReTweet links (Content) 18% (Informational Motivation)
• Send Out Links To Sites where content is thought as valuable 16%
• Drive Traffic 13% (Promotional Motivation)
• Create Friendships 10% (Relational Motivation)
• Generate More Followers 8% (Promotional Motivation)
• Develop Leads 5% (Promotional Motivation)
52. Twitter and CRE
"I'm followed by a lot of
different retailers that I don't
have business with," he says.
"Maybe the next time I call
them, they may take my call."
53. Twitter is a Cocktail Party!
• Don’t JUST talk about yourself
• Find people who interest you
• Try to add value to the conversation
• Follow up with new friends
54. Speaking the language
RT @fscnola hosting a
#socialmedia101 training session this
55. Twitter Translator
56. Twitter Names
@______ = your Twitter name
I am @andyknola
We are @fscinteractive
You are @colinbtyler
@ denotes a tweet sent to another Twitter user
@TiffanyStarnes see you in
the park tonight!
@fscnola thanks for sharing
the great Social media tips
58. When Would you Reply?
• When someone mentions you, poses a
question you can answer or says something
you want to respond to. Just like in real life.
Retweets are similar to
forwarding a message in
e-mail. They help grow
communities and makes
people feel good.
RT @andyknola: Help
raise money for
Hurricane Sandy Relief:
60. When Would you Retweet?
• When someone posts something you really
like and you want to share it, too. Just like a
funny email or interesting news read.
61. Other “Versions” of Retweet
• RT = Retweet
– RT @FSCInteracative: There are nine types of #Facebook users. Which
one are you? Let us know! ow.ly/nkcv3
• MT = Modified Tweet
– Wow! MT @FSCInteracative: There are nine types of #Facebook users.
Which one are you? ow.ly/nkcv3
• V/ or Via// = Via
– There are nine types of #Facebook users. Which one are you? Let us
know! ow.ly/nkcv3 v/ @FSCInteractive
62. Direct Message
DM is a private message that you can only send
to those who follow you.
D Adeletiblier Here’s
my e-mail address
# makes a term into a keyword that is
searchable, also used to imply sarcasm or humor
@tiffanystarnes is speaking in
tongues at #socialsummit
@melodicbabble Did you hear
Justin Bieber is playing in
64. Why Would you Hashtag?
• Trending Keywords (#saints #whodat #nola)
• Event Aggregation (#JazzFest #RDR)
A Favorite is when someone Favorites your tweet.
These are searchable by Google and
other search engines and
show up in the other person’s stream.
66. What Favorites Look Like
67. Twitter can be used for RESEARCH
• Research competitors, partners or companies
• Research market trends – what are people
saying about travel and tours on Twitter?
• Who are the influencers talking about travel –
how can you reach them?
68. Twitter Lists
Twitter lists, like any list, organizes everything
you need in one central place. The lists can be
public or private and you can add people you
follow or don’t follow.
It’s up to you.
69. How YOU can use Twitter Lists
• Organize your competitors on a private list
• Organize your partners, people you work with
on a public list
• Curate industry resources
70. Some Twitter Etiquette Tips
• Short and Sweet – Twitter is 140 characters
but ideally you want your tweet to be
between 100-120 so people can RETWEET you
• Retweet often. Remember give engagement
to get engagement
• Hashtag whatever is relevant, but don’t go
overboard and don’t spam
• Favorite YOUR favorite tweets (even if they’re
yours!) it helps with Search
71. Managing Twitter
Let’s Take it Easy
72. What You Need
• Twitter.com for desktop (www.twitter.com)
• Twitter Mobile App (in both App Store &
Google Play Store)
• Bit.ly to shrink URLs (www.bit.ly)
73. What is Instagram?
• A photo sharing social network that is largely
• Fastest growing social network to date
• Quick and easy way to share visual images of
what your brand is
• Allows users to put “filters” on their images
• Allows users to tag their photos, similarly to
Twitter, for easy search
74. Why do People Use Twitter?
1. Connect with Friends and Brands they love
2. Search for new things to like
3. Get inspiration for travel, fashion, cooking
75. How to use Instagram
76. How to use Instagram: Home Screen
• Home Screen: Shows
you everyone you
77. How to use Instagram: Explore Screen
• Explore Screen: shows
your trending images on
78. How to use Instagram: News Screen
• News Screen: Shows
you “News” which
includes people liking or
commenting on your
photos or tagging or
mentioning you in a
• Can also view by
79. How to use Instagram: Your Profile
• Your Profile: Shows your
80. How to use Instagram: Your Profile
• Sort Images by Grid
• Sort Image by List
• Your Photo Map
• Photos of You
81. How to use Instagram: Edit Your Profile
82. How to use Instagram: Edit Your
83. How to use Instagram: Search
84. How to use Instagram: Let’s POST!
Home Feed: Click the Blue
Take Photo (1), Take Video (2) or
Choose Photo from Gallery (3)
3 1 2
85. How to use Instagram: Let’s POST!
Get Your Photo Cropped Add a Filter (if you want)
86. How to use Instagram: Let’s POST!
Add a Caption, Tags, Location POST!
87. Instagram Etiquette
• Don’t use filters to change the image, use
them to enhance the image
• Use hashtags, but don’t go crazy (some to
include: #igersneworleans #neworleans #nola)
• Like and Comment on other photos but don’t
• Share to Facebook and Twitter only if the
88. Measuring Success
89. Measuring Success
Get More Slides: