28th FAO ARC: Side event on youth aquaculture and livestock- nigerian youth
FAO REGIONAL CONFERENCE FOR AFRICA
TUNIS, TUNISIA, 26 MARCH 2014
SIDE EVENT ON:YOUTH AND DEVELOPMENT
OF AQUACULTURE AND LIVESTOCK IN
ADENUGA, ADENIYI ADEDEJI
• Tepebo farms is located at No 3 Orelaja street,
opposite Ilese Army barrack, Isade Ijebu.Ogun
• Tepebo farms is a subsidiary of Tepebo
international limited, a registered limited
liability company. The farm is operating on
about a three plots of land.
• Tepebo farms was established 2 years ago as
Youth Corps member serving in Oyo State,
• The initial startup capital came from my
parents, church cooperative loan and part of
the 'popular allawe' from youth service .
• The farm plans to market a complete line of
catfish products and packages including live
fish hamper, value added catfish, packaged
smoked catfish and make fish available for
local consumption and international market.
• There are total of 14 ponds
• The small pond serves as the growing pond for
fingerlings to juvenile and the big pond serves
as the grow out pond.
• The big ponds can conveniently occupy 1500
post juveniles till harvest.
• We produce 15 tons per cycle and a capacity
of 30 tons per annum.
• After the second cycle of six month and
impressive sales figure, the lesson
learnt/challenges of sourcing fingerlings
outside the farm, I re-invested my turn over to
construct a standard hatchery ,this was done
using local initiative of a smart plumber and
copying the standard imported ones in the
To increase my product line and with the gift of 3
smoking kiln from the Federal Ministry of
Agriculture and Rural Development, we decided to
package smoke fish that will meet not only with
local/national market but also compete
• LAND ACQUISITION AND OWNERSHIP:
expansion program is dependent on this.
• FUNDS : needed for new constructions of
ponds, feeding and other working capital.
• MARKET: Fish is a highly perishable product
and must be sold either fresh or smoked
quickly to preserve the quality and customer
• Youth friendly Agricultural policies (GES and
• Easy access to funds/capital (soft loan and
• Creation of markets for products.
• Mentoring and following up
• Capacity building and training.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING
• I AM NIGERIAN
• I AM YOUNG
• I AM A FARMER!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA, GOD BLESS AFRICA!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.