A lot of donors, interest and talk ... But this means more need for coordination The surge of REDD interest means increased transaction costs for government. Government resources (human) are limited and is stretching very thin Working under much uncertainty What will benefit be? Future carbon prices What is REDD+? Enhancements?? How not to offset deforestation with reforestation? How to be rewarded for past government efforts in reforestation? (661) What are we striving for?
UN-REDD in Viet Namearly experiencesAkiko InoguchiForestry – Programme officerFAO Representation in Viet Nam
Viet Nam REDD context• Forests in transition: from net-deforesting to net-afforesting• Rapidly growing wood furniture export industry – dependent on imported wood materials• PFES in water being piloted• Forestry institutions under-going restructuring• MRV - National Forest Inventory undertaken since 1995• REDD readiness phase support programmes: – UN-REDD, JICA, Finland, REDD-ALERT, Winrock, RECOFTC, (FCPF R- PIN approved)• REDD pilot activities: – SNV, ICRAF, GTZ, ...
REDD-VN: where we are• Phase 1: Developing REDD+ Strategy• Phase 2: Piloting REDD+ Strategy for capacity building• Phase 3: Implementing REDD+ Strategy
1) Organize & consult: REDD coordination• National REDD Network and Technical Working Group UN-R FIP EDD I GTZ VFU SNV Technical Working Group WW F Fin ICRAF rends JIC A lan CIF OR Forest T IV d FS Sub-technical working groups REDD field RELs pilots ck Winro FFI National REDD Network
1) Organize & consult: Free Prior Informed Consent (FPIC)• Target – Communities in 2 pilot districts in Lam Dong province• Approach – Developing communication materials and holding community meetings• Awareness raising on – forest contribution to climate change – REDD – UN-REDD project intervention• Obtaining consent from local stakeholders on – UN-REDD project intervention (training)
2) REDD Strategy• National level – Drivers of deforestation and forest degradation – Analysis on forest policy and governance issues – National REDD strategy development – Implementation framework development• Local level – Various REDD pilots are being initiated – Various SFM practices on the ground may act as basis
2) REDD strategy - Mapping “RED potential in Vietnam” At the sub-national level, RED holds much significance (Map for preliminary analysis generated using MODIS VCF - Global Land Cover Facility)• RED (deforestation) – NOAA AVHRR (‘98-2000) & MODIS/NDVI data (2001-’08) applying LMF process• REDD (degradation) – high-resolution SPOT images
2) REDD strategy Benefit Distribution global FUND or MARKET? Global Fund/Market $ isolate REDD funds from other gov’t revenues? (manage in funds?) how much should Central Gov’t retain? National REDD Fund $ manage funds at which level/s of sub- national gov’t? how much should sub-national gov’t retain?Sub-national REDD Funds $ who can receive REDD revenues? how to calculate local payments? (performance-based; opportunity costs, Local beneficiaries poverty coefficients...) how about non-monetary benefits?
2) REDD strategy: Avoiding regional leakage• Approx 20% of processed timber is derived from domestic forest resources Effect of REDD to timber flows From VN How to ensure From VN this does not Shift to outside resources invoke deforestation/ forest degradation in other countries? From outside VN From outside VN Before REDD After REDD
3) Reference scenario(ha) REDD actionsForest area BAU baseline BAU baseline without plantation policy 2010 2013 1997
4) Monitoring systems Who will be in charge? Global •Does a relevant institution exist? •Do they have sufficient capacity? $ financial auditing level of monitoring of benefit distribution participation National monitoring against the reference in emissions level monitoring $ monitoring of performance recourse monitoring of benefit distribution mechanisms Sub-national $ monitoring of C-stocksLocal beneficiaries
Next steps & Phase 2:• Piloting activities – Voluntary REDD+ projects – Public funds (ODA) for piloting benefit distribution – REDD projects• Capacity building – In MRV • RELs, Inventory, C-stock monitoring – Targeting sub-national level capacity• Institutional arrangements – Inter-ministerial coordination