What has happened?
• NBCUniversal sued for $3.5 Million (7/2012)
• TBS & TitleBoy sued: destruction of materials (2/2012)
• Microsoft sued for $1.4 Million (4/2013)
• NBCUniversal’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter sued
for $1.5 Million + destruction of materials (7/2011)
• Mixpanel sued for $2.0 Million (3/2013)
• Rick Santorum’s agency sued for $2.0 Million (8/2011)
Font Licensing Policies
1. How do you buy new fonts?
2. How do you create comp?
3. Do you have existing procedures?
4. Who collects all the licenses, purchase
Assess Your Existing Collection
1. Do you have purchase records?
2. What are your rights and limits?
• Number of licenses
• Packaging, Logos, PDF embedding?
• Web Font use?
• Embedded into Applications?
1. Manager / Boss
3. New employees
4. External contractors
Track Usage & Respond
1. Periodic reporting
2. Number of licenses required
3. New or expanded use types
4. Act on findings
Licensing: What can you do?
1. Use a font manager & web font service
2. Create a font licensing policy
3. Assess your current collection
4. Train everyone
5. Track your usage
• Suitcase Fusion 5
• Universal Type Server 4
Contact, Resources, Q&A
Jim Kidwell, Extensis
Font Management Best Practices Guides
Font Licensing Survey Report
Fonts used in this presentation
• Rooney Pro from Jan Fromm
• Fresco Sans from OurType