1. Each and every search engine optimisation campaign at the initial stages will involve keyword research. Carryingout keyword research will not only improve the focus of awebsite, but also understand the customers and users of the website and their search experience. Only with extensive research can trends and gaps be identified.
2. The process at a basic level is about being able tounderstand a websites audience and user intent. Who willbe visiting the site and which keyphrases are driving trafficto the site. These are the factors that must be considered, as choosing the wrong keywords and keyphrases can inevitable lead the wrong users to your site. Or worse, failing to rank for many keyphrases within the search engine results pages.
3. Once the keyword research has been carried out andimplemented, this will directly influence the link buildingactivities and other parts within the campaign. Therefore its vital that it has been carried out properly.
4. Here are several tips for anyone looking to carry out keyword research of their own, including the toolsrequired and the best methods of finding the most appropriate keywords and keyphrases.
5. Keyword ToolsTo begin, its important to understandwhere the vital information for carrying out the keyword research will be collected from. Fortunately, there is a wide range of different tools that offer many different options.
6. The following three keyword tools are the best place to begin:
7. - Google AdWords Traffic Estimator
8. - Google Insights
9. - Google Trends
10. It must be noted that all keyword research tools provideestimates on searches that are conducted in days, months or even years. Each vary and all results must be takenlightly, as not all will be 100% accurate. But can be used as an indicator for searches that are being carried out much more frequently than other, while giving useful recommendations to other popular search terms that can be localised to many different countries.
11. Keyword Value & RelevanceAs previously mentioned, the importance of choosing the correct keywords it vital. Therefore ask yourself these questions throughout the process:
12. Does it relate to the content, products and services on offer?When searching for this keyword or keyphrase,would my website be considered relevant or appropriate?
13. Long Tail KeywordsWhenever conducting keyword research, its vital to have expectations from the very beginning. As there is no easy way for ranking for top search engine terms, such as "health insurance" and "beer" if the business only operates locally. Largerbusiness will already be spending large amounts of money on these search terms. Smaller searches often involve those at the beginning of their search journey and therefore less chance of converting.
14. Instead, long tail keyphrases roughly account for 70% of all searches. And, although they are only carried out severaltimes each day and provide significantly lower traffic then generic keyphrases. Its important to understand that because they are unique searches its very likely that each searcher is at the end of their buying cycle. With a much greater chance of converting. Therefore by driving traffic that has a high chance of converting is much morefinancially sound. Whilst, having very little competition for these keyphrases.
15. Search engine optimisation is an industry that isconstantly evolving. With new techniques and methods of carrying out day to day activities. Therefore keep up to date with relevant industry experts to see if you can pick up any other tips on how to improve your keyword research process.