View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Mobile Africa (Some general
• Internet users now just over 16 million
• 42 million mobile users in SA – There are
68m active sim cards (Africa has 700m
phones now, still rising fast)
• Approx 12 million smartphones in SA now (5m blackberry,
4.2m Symbian, 2m Android, 0.6m iphones, 0.2m
• Top mobile sites in SA – Facebook, Google,
Mxit, zamob.com, gumtree, soccerladuma.mobi
Mobile Africa (Some Social Stats)
• 9.9 million Facebook users (+90% use it on
their mobile – no mobile apps)
• 2.8million Twitter users in SA (+90%
• MXit users: 6.5 million active SA users
for the last 30 days (Over 60 million
total registered users – SA/Kenya/Nigeria)
• Over 1 Billion “Please call me” sent each
• 12.5 million SA people use apps on their
If your site doesn’t load fast,
people will be sad
71% expect the mobile site to load as
fast as on a desktop.
74% will only wait up to 5 seconds, now
more for the site to load.
77% of top brands mobile sites take
longer than 5 seconds to load.
79% of Google advertisers don’t have
mobile optimised sites.
Slow loading and poor navigation are main
Some Africa data
• 80% of all new phones sold are smart /
• 29% of SA Vodacom users have
• 850m Phones (127m Smart) by 2015
• 250m data connected devices by 2015
• Personal Computer sales down 14% in Q1
2013 (largest drop since entry – Africa