Case study: Tier 1 converged challenger –
CSP establishing a SOC
• Improving service quality and customer experience.
• Shift from voice to data, network cost control to unlimited data plans as differentiator.
Transformation project (What?):
• SOC transformation: Establishing/running a service-performance-management center.
• Still working on identifying/defining appropriate metrics, e.g., throughput, data usage over time.
Approach/challenges/best practices (How?):
• SOC planning/management/implementation: Initially used third party, then took it in-house. NOC still
operated by vendor.
• Interfaces for SOC with other parts of organization are critical, essential to communicate benefits.
• Integration of systems was challenge, requires good support from vendors to optimize/customize tools.
• KBOs/KBIs: Speed of network deployment, expansion of footprint (coverage) and better services for
customers, in particular faster data speeds.