The top ten mistakes start-ups make - including some of my own personal start-up experiences of starting a Web 2.0 company. This deck also includes resources for entrepreneurs living in the Willamette Valley (Oregon).
Ask potential business attorney…
• Emerging growth business before?
• How much time for you?
• Raised multiple rounds of financing?
• Create/Read a Capitalization Table?
• Developed a PPM?
• Compensation packages for new hires?
• IP protection?
• Global expansion?
• Experience with exits – M&As, IPO, quit?
• Talk to current/former client?
• The first investor conference of its kind
• Regional approach to entrepreneurial dev
• Corvallis this year – Eugene next year…
• Modeled after Angel Oregon and Bend
• 25 accredited investors at $5,000/each
– $1 M personal net worth or $200K/year
• 200 attendees
• 44 business plans
• 6 companies pitched 10 mins
• 5 companies pitched Ignite (3.5 mins)
• One winner: $125,000 in seed funding
• One conference/year (Corvallis/Eugene)
– Connect entrepreneurs
with expertise and
financing for success
– Increase skills of
– Increase number and
engagement of angel
– Promote our region as a
vital market for new
• Accredited Angels from Lane County
– Worth minimum of $1M in assets
– Earn minimum of $200K/year
• Review business plans
• Eugene Chamber conducts due diligence/
screening for good deal flow
• Company pitches 4x/year
• Chose whether to invest
Summary to engage…
• Attend Smart-ups on Jul 23rd at OES
• Subscribe to smartups.org RSS Feed
• Free Review of your exec summary/PPT
• Join smartups.ning.com (community)
• Join OEN.org | “virtual membership”
– $35 students/40 individuals