About ME BA in Comms (MBA Mktg) 20 Years In Corp. America Started Career as Recruiter Marketing/Sales BackgroundLaunched The Chazin Group ‘04Contact me:Tel: (201) 683-3399Email: Ethan@TheChazinGroup.com
What I Do Now Job Search Strategies Interviewing & Networking Career Coaching Life / Work Balance Business Owner Coaching Human Capital Development Professional Development Salary Negotiations
Only ThroughBRANDING Can WeAchieve LastingDifferentiation
• Your Goals:– Identify Strengths & Areas for Improvement– Identify New Career Opportunities– Identify Ideal Industries and Companies– Identify Your Working StyleThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupPersonal Exploration
• Match Your Values and Belief Systemto the Ideal Culture of PotentialEmployers:– Research your ideal company culture.– Learn to distinguish between the Formal andInformal culture in ANY organization.The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupPersonal Assessment
Personal Mission StatementPositioning StatementProposition StatementThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupBrand Building Is a 3 Step Process
YourPERSONAL MISSIONStatementThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group STEP 1
• What principles do I choose as afoundation for my life?• What would I like to accomplish andcontribute?• What would I like to be?• How do I fit into my family andcommunity?• What are my strengths?• What are my passions?The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Core Values & Beliefs
• Take an Online Self Assessment Tool:– Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)– The Birkman Method– Keirsey Temperament Sorter• Understand Your Values• Match Your Values To Ideal EmployerCultures (Differentiate the Formal &Informal)• Identify Your Preferred WorkingEnvironmentThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupWho Are You?
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupElements to ConsiderVeryImportant Important NeutralNotImportant N/ASecurityFinancial StabilityChallengeCreativityCompetitivenessPersonal GrowthPromotional OpportunitiesVarietyRoutineDetail OrientationOrganized EnvironmentCulture:ValuesIntegrityEnergyStructureCelebrationsWhat’s MOST Important to You?
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupElements to ConsiderVeryImportant Important NeutralNotImportant N/AEnvironmentHelping or Impacting Lives ofOthersPacePhysical DemandsWork-Life BalanceRecognitionRate of PayEducational RequirementsPersonal Relationship withManagerPersonal Relationship with Co-workersPhysical locationCommuteWhat’s MOST Important to You?
Why We ALL Need a PersonalMission Statement!• Ensures a greater chance of career success!• Steven Covey has referred to crafting amission statement as "connecting with yourown unique purpose and the profoundsatisfaction that comes in fulfilling it."• Michael Goodman: a personal missionstatement is: “an articulation of what you’re allabout and what success looks like to you.”The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupPersonal Mission Statement
1. Identify Your SUCCESSES2. Identify Your CORE VALUES3. Identify your CONTRIBUTIONS4. Identify Your GOALSVOILA!The Chazin GroupA Four-Step Process
Your Marketing 5 PsMission Statement TemplatesThe Chazin Groupwww.timethoughts.com/goalsetting/mission-statements.htmwww.timethoughts.com/goalsetting/mission-statements.htm
"My personal mission is to take time everyday for reflection, to realize what I learned,what I should learn more about to say thankyou, to give myself a pat on the back whilelooking into what I need to improve upon.”The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupAn Example
YourPOSITIONINGStatementThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group STEP 2
• Based on my background, this is how I am in aUNIQUE POSITION to help your organization• Highlight your FEATURES & BENEFITS:– Core Competencies (Workforce Solutions, CandidateScreening, Training & Development)– Expertise (Leadership, Management)– Success Stories– Qualifications & Experience– Accreditations & Certifications– Language ProficiencyThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Positioning Statement
Your positioning statement should be brief and containthe following information:1. An overview of your skills, experiences and what yourelooking for (I am a qualified Accountant looking for a role as aFinance Director in a high growth SME.?2. A description of your specific skills & experiences : (Ex.My experience includes accounting, general office managementduties, IT management and facilities management.)The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Positioning Statement
3. Additional information:Ex. I’ve spent the past 3 years in a variety of Financial and ITroles in a high growth business in which I have managed andmotivated teams of up to sixteen people to a high level ofachievement. I also have the ability and desire to contribute andinfluence at a management level and the capacity to participate inthe strategic development of an organization.The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Positioning Statement
Stick with a 4-6 word statement. It defines your role, your worthand establishes a place (or position) in the mind of a hiringmanager, HR person, recruiter or networking contact. Thinkabout it as your tag-line (Ex. Avis: We try harder). Here are a fewexamples to get you started:• Classically Trained Consumer Marketing Executive• Customer-Driven Service And Parts Technician• Strategy and Data Powered Sales Manager• Brand Building Product Management Professional• Growth-Oriented Chief Financial Officer• Problem Solver and Detail Oriented IT ManagerThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Positioning Statement
YourPROPOSITIONStatementThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group STEP 3
• Based on my personal mission and mypositioning statement, I PROPOSE that…• Here’s what I will do for your organization.• Apply your background, skills and experience todeliver a set of solutions that will solve theirspecific challenges.The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Proposition Statement
• FranklinCovey Mission Builder;www.franklincovey.com/missionbuilder/index.html• Laurie Beth Jones, The Path: Creating Your MissionStatement For Work & For Life• Richard J. Leider, The Power of Purpose: CreatingMeaning in Your Life and Work• www.thenovogroup.com/personal-positioning-statement/• www.inspirational-sayings-in-action.com/example-of-a-personal-mission-statement.htmlThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupResources
“If you don’t haveyour own plan,someone else is goingto make you fit intotheir plan.”Tony RobbinsThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group
Your 40-Year PlanThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group
Marketing the BrandCalled YOU…The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Brand Is Ready
•PRICE: Know Your Worth•PLACE: Meet With the Right People•PROMOTION: You Can’t Sell WhatYou Don’t Know. Why ShouldSomeone Do Business With/HireYou?•PACKAGING: Dressing for Success•PRODUCT: Your Features &BenefitsYour Marketing 5 Ps
• Become a Subject Matter Expert• Get Published• Identify Your USP• Your Product Features & Benefits• Build Rolodex of References /Testimonials• Your Success Stories• Actively Promote Yourself AT ALL TIMES• Defend Your Brand (Name) Against ALLAttacksThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupSelf-Promotion = BRANDING
Your PersonalMarketing PlanThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupSecurity Analyst Information Security Research Market DataSenior SecurityAnalystInformation Analyst ResearchAnalystMarket DataSpecialistQuant ResearchAnalystNetwork Intrusion Analyst ResearchManagerQuant Modeler /TraderApplication Security AnalystFX SystematicTraderSecurity Systems AnalystYour Contact Details Here!Summary of my professional qualifications: 13 years as a securityanalyst with core competencies in:• Core competency 1• Core competency 2• Core competency 3• Core competency 4My target job functions & job titles:Your Personal Marketing Plan
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYour Personal Marketing PlanKey Company Attributes Ideal Job LocationEntrepreneurial culture, small start up, andcondones calculated risk-takingNYC, Northern/Central NJDallas/Ft. Worth, TXCincinnati, OHE-Commerce Manufacturing Security SportsManagementAmazon AmanoCorporationKroll Worldwide Steiner SportsE-Bay Johnson Controls Citigate-Hu dson MIllsportB&N.com UnitedTechnologiesSafir-Rosetti SME, Inc.Key Responsibilities That I am Seeking Include:• Project Management• Telemarketing• Customer ServiceTarget Industries and Companies:My Ideal Company Characteristics and Locations Are:
Only 10-15% of Jobs Get Advertised Online Resources:oCareerBuilder, Monster, Yahoo! Hot Jobsrepresent ONLY 6-7% of all jobs Classified Advertising:oNJ.com, NYT.com, Craig’s ListThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupUse All Your Resources
Job Aggregator Sites:oSimplyHired.comoIndeed.com Executives/Professionals:oExecuNetoKorn FerryoChristian & Timberso6FigureJobsThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupUse ALL Your Resources
• Research Sources: Hoover’s Online SEC (www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml) DNB.com Business.com SearchSystems.net (public recordsdbase) PR NewswireThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupDo Your Research
• Research Sources: ThomasNet.com CNNMoney.com (http://money.cnn.com/news/crc) vault.com/companies/searchcompanies.jsp www.learnwebskills.com/companyThe Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupDo Your Research
• Your Resume “Forever” Success Stories• You Are a Product:– Features & Benefits:• Core competencies• Experience• Skills & Qualifications• Education• Certifications• Resume & Cover Letter LAST!The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupYou Are a Product
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin GroupTransferableSkills
What AreTransferrable Skills?The Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group
The Chazin GroupThe Chazin Group“Transferable skills are talents youve acquired thatcan help an employer but that arent immediatelyrelevant to the job you seek.”Kevin Donlin, résumé writerExperiences like volunteer work, hobbies, sports,previous jobs, college coursework or even life happeningscan lead you to find these skills.Any skill is transferable; the trick is showing employershow your skills apply and are USEFUL to them.www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-865-Cover-Letters-and-Resumes-How-to-Identify-Your-Transferrable-Skills/?ArticleID=865&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=a8a01ebfc2c04b5697e1861bec824e33-316297764-J9-5&ns_siteid=ns_us_g_transferrable_skillsYour Transferrable Skills
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.