• Interwoven relationships built upon shared /
• Sense of community urges people to return to
the website due to:
– Attractive content; and
– Community makes certain activities easier to satisfy
needs not achievable individually.
• The site can be altered/customized by the user
or the organization.
• When visitor customizes the content to fit their
needs, it’s called personalization. When the
organization customizes the content, it’s called
• Features that aide in customization:
– Login: once we recognize you we can
customize your experience with us
– Cookies: to track your behavior
– Personalized (vanity) email accounts
– Content & layout configurations
– Agents (computer programs)
• The degree to which a site can link to other
sites, or from one web page on its site to
• Links can go to:
– Other websites.
– 3RD Party website with home page in the
– Outsourced content such as stock quotes or news
• Understand Pathways Out/Pathways In.