1. I can evaluate effective hooks and closings and identify what makes themcomplete. I can create a closing on my own by using words or phrases from the hook to make it complete.
2. Five Ways to Begin an Essay  Onomatopoeia Question Dialogue Use a quotation Restate the prompt
3. Onomatopoeia Example  Hook- Click, click! That is the sound I heard as I was walking down the sidewalk in front of my house. Suddenly I found a penny that I will always cherish. Conclusion- I think of that penny often when I am walking on my sidewalk. It was a discarded penny, but now you know why it is a cherished coin.
4. Question Hook  Have you ever found something really interesting? This is the story about a time I found something that changed my life. Turn and Talk to your Table and discuss a good two sentence conclusion.
5. Question Hook  Have you ever found something really interesting? This is the story about a time I found something that changed my life. (Example Ending) Clink, clink. That is the sound of that penny going into my bank. That penny changed my life and I will keep it forever!
6. Now it’s your turn!  “Find a penny, pick it up, and all the day you’ll have good luck.” That penny on the sidewalk was the start of a crazy day for me. Turn and Talk to your shoulder partner and create a two sentence conclusion.
7. And Again!  One day I was walking down the sidewalk and found something really interesting. I couldn’t believe my eyes! Now create a two sentence conclusion on your own.
8. Titles  I can create a title that represents the main idea of my composition.
9. 5 Different Ways to Write a Title  Alliteration One-Word Mysterious Descriptive Time or Place
10. Alliteration  Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? By Eric Carle “The Terrible Twisted Tooth” by Zach Write your own alliterative title.
11. One-Word Title  Hoot by Carl Hiaasen “Gorilla” by A.J. Write your Own!
12. Mysterious Titles  Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree by Lauren Tarshis “The Day Was Totally Lost” by Jacqueline Write your Own!
13. Descriptive Title  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling “My First Ride on a Horse” by Emma Write your own!
14. Time or Place  Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak “Up in the Treehouse” by Ethan Write your own!