View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
WE E K 6 , D A Y 1 E . B U C H A N A N
ENGLISH 83R 10/1/13
BEFORE PEPSODENT APPEARED, WHAT % OF
AMERICANS HAD A TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE?
Please place your “Evidence” homework on the
counter before you “click” in.
• Literature Circle
• Continue Discussion of Supporting Details and
Implied Main Idea using Reading Strategy
“Evidence” and Habits Ch. 2.
• Author’s Purpose using Habits Ch. 2
• For Thursday:
• Read: “The Science of Shopping:” Reading Strategy: KWL
• Quiz: Supporting Details and Implied Main Idea
• Please get into circles.
• Take Role
• Speakers for the day:
• Pirates: Samantha; Character Analyzer
• 5 Quiet: Moein: Character Analyzer
• B’s & M’s: Monica: Investigator
• Adriana M: Blossoms: Discussion Director
• Fantastic 5: Jessica G: Luminary Lit.
• TBS: Yo: Summarizer
HABIT CH. 2 EVIDENCE
• The homework for today is come up with some
evidence and interpretation from Habit Ch. 2.
• We know the topic is “The Craving Brain” and we
can agree that the main idea of Ch. 2 is “How to
Create New Habits.”
• Let’s list some of the evidence we found:
• 1. The brain naturally creates a habit
• 2. Hopkins explains how he didn’t listen to anyone
about the toothpaste, succeeded at what he did.
• 3. Explanation of turning bad habits into good ones.
• 4. Some habits are more powerful than others.
• 5. The “Fabreze” thing
• 6. Instead of changing habits, we must keep the old
cue, deliver the old reward, but get a new routine.
• Now let’s get into groups – each group will write
some supporting details (interpretation) discovered
about the evidence.
IMPLIED MAIN IDEA REVIEW
• Let’s look again at some of the paragraphs in Habits
Ch. 2 to find the Implied Main Ideas.
• 1st page of Chapter 2, Paragraph 1
• Claude Hopkins is approached by a man that wants him to
invest in a toothpaste product.
• 4th page of Ch. 2, paragraph 3 “In focusing on…”
• Hopkins used the removal of “tooth film” as the trigger that
would get people to use Pepsodent.
IMPLIED MAIN IDEA
• To review, what is the difference between a stated
main idea and an implied main idea?
• A stated main idea is found within the reading. With
implied main ideas, the reader must determine
what the author is implying or referring to. (This
question will be on the quiz Thursday).
• The quiz will also include several paragraphs where
you will need to determine the topic, main idea,
and supporting details.
• For Thursday there will be a quiz on Supporting Details and
• Also, read the “Science” article and complete the KWL
assignment that has been posted on Moodle.