What is the purpose and
background of MOOCS
◦ Moocs began as a way of increasing interaction and communication between
distance learners and their lecturers.
◦ As the name suggests, these online courses are targeted at thousands of students at
the same time. These Moocs are free, which enables students to access them any time
of the day and anywhere
◦ They is a wide variety of university courses that are offered freely online
◦ Only 4% of students who enroll for MOOCs complete the course
◦ Students get de- motivated unlike, personal interaction with the lecturer and other
◦ Discussion among students is difficult as these students are rarely online at the same
time, the more the students, the difficult it is to maintain a meaningful conversation.
◦ Moreover, at times if the professor taking the course teaches it in an uninteresting way
or the students find the classes boring, there is absolutely no way one can interact with
the faculty to give feedback. There is no way teachers can interact directly with
students and engage them.
◦ They are accessible across boundaries and time zones
◦ They are free
◦ one can improve his lifelong learning skills, for participating in a MOOC forces one to
think about his own learning and knowledge absorption
◦ One does not need a degree to follow the course, only the willingness to learn (at
◦ They is a wide variety of activities and interactions that are offered in one’ s language