Mastering the high-tech classroomPresentation Transcript
Mastering the High-Tech
• Most teachers’ chief
complainant is that they
do not have enough
• Technology integration in
• Help you understand and
use technology to have
more time in your
Knowledge and ease key to
success You may know some
of these hi-tech techniques,
but understanding and
utilizing them to the full
extent can benefit you and
How often do you use
technology in your
classrooms? Do you
understand all the technology
How to make technology work for you:
• Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office and/or
• Organize lessons, grades, and student information.
• To-do lists; why not use an online or software
support system. Calendars on your email, laptop, or
phone can help you organize to-do lists,
appointments, correspondence, and schedules.
• Lessons, quizzes, hand-outs, substitute information,
discipline plans, and many more of your daily tasks.
Scanning documents can save space and the
• Save more time for instruction planning and can give
you some much needed down time.
Surveys and Getting to Know
• Through Emails, Surveys, Clickers,
• Learning style assessments
• What rewards and punishments will work best for
• Foster open communication and motivation
• Ask them how they would like to learn a topic?
• Communication is essential through technology
• Twitter, blogs, and open dialog
• Communication and expectations are clear
• Improve and differentiate instruction through
different mediums (like videos, tutorials, blogs, and
sharing of expertise and research) to meet student’s
different learning styles.
• Foster metacognition (which is thinking about how
you learn) and will grab student’s attention and help
engage them remember by using their senses.
• Clickers can be used in surveys, quizzes, and class
participation, which aids in student attention and
• Collaborating with other
professionals and teachers
through sites like Edutopia.org,
Edublogs.org , Follett, Twitter,
SMART exchange, and many
more offer forums to share ideas
and successes. Collaboration can
be comforting to know you are
not alone, and no one is an
expert at everything.
• SMART boards are in almost every
classroom, and they use notebook
• Notebook software is much more
user friendly for capturing images,
importing files, and manipulating
• Interactive component for instruction
with move and reveal, or dragging
and dropping presentations.
Smart Boards Cont.
• Page recorder can save your presentations for
• Working with peers with hands-on activities
and games can also facilitate communication
and cooperation in your classroom.
• Using all student’s senses and learning styles
Wiley, J. (2008) Smart Board Interactive Whiteboards For
Dummies. John Wiley & Sons Canada.
• 1st is a learning
• Tailor instruction
• Students to understand
how to study
• Free tools on-line for teachers and students to
• Full of important resources and knowledge for
everyone to explore, with in guidelines.
• Also many software instructional programs and web
sites are offered through your school district site
• Videos, tutorials, and pictures expert information at
• My favorites tools are Google and Youtube
• Students can created a Facebook page for a
• Students can create a Moviemaker,
Photostory, Slideshare, and/or Animomoto
about a book they read
• YouTube, Teacher Tube, and Student Tube
offer an abundant amount of videos and
tutorials on a vast array of topics for you and
• Other tutorials:http://www.khanacademy.org/
• Google apps provides a variety of different
games, social learning, quizzes, tutorials,
plans, study guides, and dozens more that can
enhance your students experiences.
• Twitter is a popular among educators for
blogging and communicating with parents and
their community, while also building their own
personal success network.
Authentic Assessment Tools
• Journaling through blogs, web sites, and/or
• To assess their learning
Preparing For the Future
• Technology savvy kids are more aware
of their interests and dreams
• Most college classes are on-line
• Most jobs require advanced typing,
Microsoft Office, and even internet
• Finding a job and creating opportunities
requires the internet (websites like
GA411 students can create resumes,
take interest tests, and browse careers).
• Receptive to the growing
innovations of technology
• Realize goals and realize their
• I will close with two videos on how
innovative technology has
• Don’t you wish they had these
technological advances when we