Top 10 Countries 1. Singapore 2. Netherlands 3. Switzerland20 57 4. Australia 5. Sweden 6. Belgium 7. Denmark 8. Finland 9. Norway 10.Germany 11
GEN Y VALUES GO MAINSTREAM Empowered Optimistic Ambitious Resourceful Passionate Loyal CommunicatorsConfident
GEN Y’s Work for love, not money Attracted to opportunities, not status Look for challenge, not tenure Demand that work be engaging & fun, not drudgery Believe work is NOT location specific 13
Blurring of Employee/WorkBoundaries Free Agents & Employees Work, Enterprise, Partners, Leisure, Suppliers, Home Customers Consultants
Flexible Work Patterns WORKER TODAY WITHIN 3 TYPE YEARS Regular 80-85% <50% Part-time 5-8% 10-20% Sometime 1-3% 4-5% Contractor 6-10% 15-20% Consultant 5-10% 10% Insourced 5-10% >20%
1. Remove Barriers HR policies aligned to support innovation. Use technology Encourage learning/exploration Allow easy internal movement Hire for innovative mindset Punish rigidity, chain of command thinking 17
2. Foster Collaboration Use collaboration tools/platforms Move away from email Encourage sharing of ideas Focus on Accountability-Based Influence (ABI) Facebook EmpireAvenue Rypple 18
3. Leverage Analytics Use data to look for opportunities & uncover needs & predict the future. 19
The Emerging Leadership Model It’s Concurrent Several may lead at the same time It’s a Collective activity Many leaders It’s Collaborative Shared ideas/collective decisions It’s Compassionate Emotion is allowed, Differences honored.
5. Flatten the Organization Partners Trusted Partners• Eliminate layers• Broaden spans Core• Shrink headcount• Reach across the globe• Build networks Consultants/Specialists Partners 22
6. Honor the Oddball Seek out the mavericks, the loners Find people who can Deal with ambiguity Analyze the complex Live with interdependencies 23
7. Experiment Often & Fast Try new ideas Do what is counter-culture Be open to new technologies Never punish failure. Encourage everyone to embrace change. 24
IBM “HR ThinkFuture” Think of talent as a cloud, as mobile, possibly working for IBM in the morning virtually and someone else in the afternoon. Focus on developing leaders with multicultural competence. Use social media as an HR tool replacing periodic performance reviews and enabling daily, continuous feedback. Use predictive analytics as an innovation tool. 25
Thanks! Boomers can Write to me at : email@example.com Gen X can Read my blog at: http://byteeoh.com Gen Y Follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/kwheeler Anyone can Read my columns on ERE: www.ere.net
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.