1. IEEE Membership An Introduction to IEEE, IEEE Malaysia
2. Agenda About IEEE About membership in a professional body How IEEE membership will benefit you Forming-Joining a professional chapter or branch Participating-Creating professional activities Be a professional! Q&A
3. Activity Lets get to know each Other Have some fun! What do I expect to Learn and take home with me today
4. What is IEEE? World’s Largest professional organisation Vision: foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity Networking, Career opportunities Organisation where members can collaborate Access to information, trends & developments Standards
5. IEEE Malaysia Malaysia Section: national development interests Special interest chapters and students branches Networking with successful professionals & leaders Strategic developments, e.g. research, innovations A place to be seen and to demonstrate competence have FUN!!!
6. professional membership Community of mutual interests Personal & professional continuous development Community to demonstrate skills, engage with others Alternate avenue for Growth, Career support Serving humanity, to make Better the environment Recognition, of your training, Who you are
7. Benefits of IEEE membership Formal badge of recognition; full membership MIEEE Publications; access to information, news, etc. Networking and working in collaboration with experts Demonstrate; help; Assert; share; a Common voice Organised activities and events under banner Career, personal and professional development
8. IEEE Malaysian chapters incl. Antennas and Propagation Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Computer Society Consumer Electronics Education Robotics and Automation Photonics Society Signal Processing GOLD Woman in Engineering … and many others
9. Forming a student branch A couple dozen of students: Graduate or Associate Typical Society structure Purpose aligned to IEEE objectives Organise technical activities, programmes incl. for community outreach Organise workshops, tutorials, social events
10. Creating professional activities What are your needs? That of your colleagues? What problems-issues are there, that can be solved? how do we solve those problems-issues? Can we foresee and prevent such problems-issues? Can we work alone? How do we collaborate? Who else will need to know what we do? And why?
11. IEEE Activities incl. Conferences, Seminars Social programmes Workshops, Tutorials Publications Community outreach Personal portfolio dev. Career exploration Continuing education Visits & technical tours Marketplace activities
12. Participate! Contributing constructive ideas, plans, etc. Working together as a professional team Pulling resources, magnify Competing individually and as a team Leading others, leadership Collaborating and Supporting
13. Essential professional Skills Interpersonal comm. Skills from training Grooming, appearance Competent, experience Confident, Integrity General knowledge Supportive, Interest In tune with the World Community based Academic as well Public engagement Demonstrate credentials
14. Be a professional! Tell us why? What are the details? How? Are there alternatives? When? What about achievements? With whom? What about community? Where would you go? What about environment? What would you do? Who do you Love!!!