2. Four Samples with Commentary• The four samples you are about to read were taken from cover letters written by previous students.• In all cases details (country of origin, languages, degrees, companies etc.) have been changed to hide the identity of the students.• I have bolded places where the student directly speaks to requirements asked for in the job description.
3. Sample 1• During the last four years at Washington State University, I have studied micro-biochemistry where I learned many laboratory skills in my biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and organic chemistry classes. I am familiar with basic lab procedures and protocols, including the safety procedures that minimize any risk of accidents that will possibly occur in the lab. I know how to analyze DNA sequences and I also have experience with extracting and cloning DNA, and with the maintenance and operation of genetics equipment. Additionally, I am a sociable person and studied abroad in England and Canada, which will help me relate to students and talk with them.
4. Sample 2• I am enthusiastic and willing to learn. As a member of the Swedish Students Association in Washington State University, I have learned other countries’ culture, and how I communicate with diverse people in the world. Especially I taught basket making to children to introduce what kinds of tradition Sweden have. While doing Swedish Night and campaign to increase awareness about Sweden , I have more deep affection for my country, and self-esteem as a Sweden. Therefore, I believe these experiences have given me a good work ethic and have learned the ability to work well as a team.•• I have lessons about communication and work ethics, so I think it is time to get career for my major, finance. I am interested in finance analysis which is related to balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows, and want to work for these as a start. Furthermore, I desire to build more strong knowledge for my major through this internship. Please accept my resume and this letter as application for an internship position at Bank of America.
5. Sample 3• I am passionate about mechanical design and have considerable experience in 3D-CAD modeling with SolidWorks. My knowledge of injection molding comes from my undergraduate level engineering manufacturing processes class. However, I want to further enhance my skills by gaining technical expertise in various manufacturing techniques Samsung uses. Because undergraduate level engineering projects involve extensive group work, I am extremely comfortable at working with people from diverse backgrounds and have always shared a good rapport with all my teammates. This position is also interesting because I enjoy travelling and am willing to relocate regardless of time and place. My enclosed resume gives further details about my background.
6. Sample 4• Based on your description of the ideal candidate, I can offer the Hilton Hotels a university degree in Business, well developed fluency in English, German and French and organizational skills and customer service orientation that I gained in almost four years of working in Paris, the USA and Turkey. Some of that experience has been as a guest relation officer as well as in the field of resort-level entertainment, working with guests from Eastern and Western Europe and the Middle East. My experience in the resort industry enabled me to develop excellent inter-personal skills, and the ability to work well with others, in both supervisory and support staff roles. Extensive international experience has helped me to build rapport with individuals from all cultural backgrounds and to maintain an upbeat and welcoming outlook. I understand the parameters of this position and am willing to relocate and travel. Please see my resume for additional information about my experience.
7. The Third Paragraph• Features• Short• Restatement of the thesis in some way --- that you hope to connect to the company.• Invitation to look at your resume.• Invitation/willingness to give more information• Express a desire to meet.• Point out your availability.• Explain what your next steps are.
8. Sample 1• I appreciate your taking the time to review my credentials. To arrange an interview time that is convenient for you, please contact me at the above telephone number or email address. I look forward to speaking with you about my future in finance analysis.
9. Sample 2• I hope you will agree that I possess the essential credentials required for this position. If given the chance, I would like to prove this to you in person. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. I can be reached via cellphone anytime during the day or via email. My contact information is on the letterhead. Thank you for taking time to consider my request and I am looking forward to hearing from you.•
10. Sample 3• I hope it will be possible to arrange a personal online or phone interview to discuss my qualifications further. Should you need to reach me, please feel free to call at 509-555- 1212, 8am- 12am Pacific Time, or email me at email@example.com. Thank you for considering my application and I look forward to talking with you.•