1. TRADITIONAL AFRICANDANCEEleanor Crowley, Marissa Sheffer, and Heather Towery
2. Basic Facts African dance depicts life’s rhythms and cycles, labors, values, aspirations, history, economic conditions and religious realities The act of African dance is often linked to the relationship between spirits and a community. The steps and movement patterns vary from culture, due to geographic and social
3. Traditional Styles of African Dance
4. Major Historical Styles Adzohu Agbekor Function was to Performed at spiritually prepare social/cultural for war. events and funerals. Movements Mimics battlefield tactics such as depicted battlefield reconnaissance, scenes, featuring wit surprise attack and and bravery. hand to hand combat.
5. Social & Cultural Styles ofDance Togo Atsia Kopanlogo Women’s dance Fairly recent form of from the Ewes of African dance, Togo. created in the Used to present 1950s. women’s view on The dancing is high- social issues. spirited and often Dancers use performed by horsetails in most children. movements.
6. Traditional Togo Atsia Dancehttp://youtu.be/pwrdg9fk9Ok
7. Traditional Kpanlogo Dancehttp://youtu.be/3Bh9UiEpcf8
8. Other Traditional Styles: Anyako Atsia, dance of morality and character NanDom Bawa, a harvest celebration dance Gahu, a dance created to poke fun a Europeans Tokoe, a coming of age dance for girls Kinka, a political dance with religious overtones Agbadza, a social dance Ahazevu Vulolo, a dance created for fellowship Brekete, a social dance
9. Importance of Drums The dancers respond and express to the beats of the drums The message of the dancing is clearly expressed through the intensity of the beat. Ex.In war dances, the strong beats of the drum represents the enemy.
10. Modern African DanceCompanies Hayor Bibimma African Dance Company They uphold the messages of traditional African dance, and want to preserve the complexity. Stationed in Minneapolis, Minnesota KanKouran West African Dance Company Use traditional styles, but personalize to their company Stationed in Washington D.C.