Startup marketing

1,025 views

Published on

You have a New product -- you want it to go Viral -- But tranditional marketing doesn't work--what should you do???

Published in: Business, News & Politics

Startup marketing

  1. 1. Startup MarketingGetting off the ground floorSean O’MalleyProduct Guyhttp://seancomalley.com
  2. 2. You have a new product
  3. 3. You want it to go viral
  4. 4. But traditional marketing doesn’t work
  5. 5. 1. Buy Ads Traditional4. Make a 2. Get More Profit marketing Distribution machine 3. Sell More Buy Products From Seth Godin on Sliced Bread at Ted, Feb 2003
  6. 6. It doesn’t work because consumers havemore choice and less time
  7. 7. It doesn’t work because startupsdon’t have the money
  8. 8. You need a marketing elevator to get yourstartup off the ground Push Button to: acquire users build a brand get recommended
  9. 9. 1. Build a remarkable product2. Market to passionate influencers3. Build loyalty through community management
  10. 10. 1. Build a remarkable product
  11. 11. “Something remarkable is worth talking about...It’sa Purple Cow… Remarkable marketing is the art ofbuilding things worth noticing right into your productor service.” Seth Godin
  12. 12. Remarkable is hard
  13. 13. “A lot of times, people dont know whatthey want until you show it to them.”Steve Jobs
  14. 14. Let’s say you build a remarkable product soinfluential people can’t help but talk about it
  15. 15. The product is the marketing
  16. 16. But what if my product isn’t Google?
  17. 17. Watch, Listen and Iterate
  18. 18. Be an astronomer ....not an astrologer Scientific Product Development Acquisition Activation Problem, Keep or Retention Hypothesis kill feature Referral & TestMonetization
  19. 19. Traditional methods
  20. 20. SurveysGoogle Analytics1:1 InterviewsEthnographic studiesUsability testingFocus groups
  21. 21. Emerging Methods...Social media
  22. 22. 2. Market to the passionate Influencers
  23. 23. 10% influence the purchasingbehavior of the other 90%Malcolm GladwellThe Tipping Point
  24. 24. Where do you find the influencers?
  25. 25. Ask the question...Who do my customerslisten to?
  26. 26. Reach the Mac user....not the PC user
  27. 27. Methods
  28. 28. Word of Mouth MarketingEvangelist Marketing Brand BloggingViral Marketing Buzz MarketingGrassroots Marketing Product SeedingEvangelist Marketing Referral ProgramsCause Marketing Community Mktg
  29. 29. Your biggest bang for the buck...embrace theinfluential bloggers
  30. 30. 3. Build loyalty through Community Management
  31. 31. A happy customer is thegreatest endorsement
  32. 32. Basically, it comes down to treat mewell and I’ll return the favor
  33. 33. Be a talk show host... not a preacher
  34. 34. Methods
  35. 35. Give a great Give customers a voiceexperience Listen Foster customer reputations Engage the community
  36. 36. If you remember anything...Most successful marketingelevators are aboutmaking lives better
  37. 37. Sean O’MalleyProduct GuyVenrock Quarrysomalley@venrock.comhttp://seancomalley.com
  38. 38. Image Credits By Theti By Dalla* By Hikaru501 on Flickr on Flickr on Flickr By Froot Smoothie By Jódís By Snelvis on Flickr on Flickr on Flickr By Benegizer By Unhindered by Talent on Flickr on Flickr By walter*sylvia By Toma01 on Flickr on Flickr By TylerKnott on Flickr By Piglovescow.com

×