App Store Optimization
How to optimize your game or get your app ready
for massive distribution and monetization
Yann Kronberg, Director of Product
March 14, 2014
• App Store Optimization
– How to market your App/Game ?
– App stores – does it still matter ?
– Nailing the most important conversion levers
– How to achieve successful ASO in 1-2-3 steps
– Privacy a key differentiator
• Get your game ready: Data driven
– The most important metric
– Real time dashboard
– Metrics you need to put in place.
– Ready for CPI campaign
• 8 years in Mobile advertising (Adinfuse / Velti / Mobclix / Lifestreet /
TRUSTe) - 100 Millions + of apps/games downloads
• Angel invertor: Liftmedia, Royal Wheel, GoPhigital, Loopme Media *
• Love for building cool products, currently playing with hadoop/big data
How to market your app ?
Social, SSP, Ad Network
US, Europe, Asia
Native App Store – Does it still matter ?
$1.3 billion in 2013 | 150 billions downloads
* Source app Annie – 2013 retrospectives / Statistic brains 2013 / Forbes
$10 billions in 2013 | 125 billions downloads
$0.95 billion in 2013 | 4.1 billions downloads
$ 0.55 billion in 2013 | 2.4 billions downloads
• Users go to the app store, Search for apps using 1 or 2 keywords. (95%
of the time will pick the one of the 3 apps that is returned).
• On average users spend only 5 seconds deciding whether or not they
will download your app. Learn here how to capitalize on this buying
– Icons / Tile & Screenshots
– Your keywords
– Your reviews
Nailing the most important conversion levers
• Optimize App Title (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Your app title should both brand your business and communicate the benefit(s) to
– Keep it simple. AB Test your icon / copy successful icon from somebody else
– Google play has specific guidance on keyword stuffing in app titles and penalties
for doing so. Apple’s App Store does not.
• Optimize your screenshots
– Focus 95% of the your effort on the first screen shot. It is the screenshot that will
get the looked at the most
– Test good customer quotes on screenshots (Apple app store)
– Google Play actually allows a mobile app promotional video to precede the screen
How to achieve successful ASO - 1
• What counts for keywords? (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Words in your app title (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Short Description (Google Play only)
o What value your app offers and why someone would let it occupy their precious
mobile storage space
– Long description (Google Play only)
o Benefits to the users, unique features
– Description of your company (Apple App Store only)
– Keywords in your itunes connect (100 characters) – (Apple App Store only)
• When you make an app/ game update it’s a good time for testing.
How to achieve successful ASO - 2
• Get some help: app store keyword research, competitive intelligence,
search rankings, and analytics
– Google’s Keyword Tool
• Primary Category (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Primary category that accurately reflects the app’s features and benefits
• Secondary Category (Apple App Store)
– Does not do much in my humble opinion, just help with the discoverability of your
How to achieve successful ASO - 2
• Ratings & Reviews
– Why don’t you build a great product ?
– Ask friends to review J
– Provide review feedback capability within the app so that they do not provide
feedback only via the app store
– Ask for 5 stars review
– Use Apptentive for capturing feedback, messaging with users, and soliciting
How to achieve successful ASO - 3
• Statistics / Research:
– The Path case – ($800k fine)
– 78% will not download an app they do not trust.
– 76% believe that they are ultimately responsible for their privacy
– 69% do not like ad tracking.
• Associate your brand with Trusted Partner: TRUSTe
Privacy: A key differentiator
ASO is implemented – now what ?
• You need to understand your game and its user inside out. Meaning you
need to measure everything you can.
• How am I making money ?
• How much money from Advertising, how much money from in app
• How long do user stay active in my game ?
• What is the % of active user, passive user, Ultra Active user (95% of $)
• What can I do to make a passive user become Ultra Active ?
• Every gamer need to understand:
– AVG(REV) by country by Platform, by user
• You need to compute a real time predicted revenue or rtPR for your user
How do you compute this formula for your game ?
rtPR = (AVG(Ad$/Month)/User + AVG(In app$/month)/User) * P(LT) *1000
“ Can not optimize for you don’t measure” – Naghi Prasad
The most important metric
• User engagement = return rate, session frequency, session length, time lapsed
between sessions, intensity of play, average number of days played per week
• Payback Days: Cost - LTV
• Predicted churn: #User at risk of leaving based on user lifetime at a given time
• Remaining lifetime: Predicted #of days remaining for users
• Predicted lifetime value: $ and time associated to a user
• App store ranking: Rank in the app store
• DAU: Daily average users
• CPI: Cost Per install
Metrics you need to put in place
You are ready to start global CPI campaigns