Founders Den App Store Optimization by Yann Kronberg
App Store Optimization
How to optimize your game or get your app ready
for massive distribution and monetization
Yann Kronberg, Director of Product
March 14, 2014
• App Store Optimization
– How to market your App/Game ?
– App stores – does it still matter ?
– Nailing the most important conversion levers
– How to achieve successful ASO in 1-2-3 steps
– Privacy a key differentiator
• Get your game ready: Data driven
– The most important metric
– Real time dashboard
– Metrics you need to put in place.
– Ready for CPI campaign
• 8 years in Mobile advertising (Adinfuse / Velti / Mobclix / Lifestreet /
TRUSTe) - 100 Millions + of apps/games downloads
• Angel invertor: Liftmedia, Royal Wheel, GoPhigital, Loopme Media *
• Love for building cool products, currently playing with hadoop/big data
How to market your app ?
Social, SSP, Ad Network
US, Europe, Asia
Native App Store – Does it still matter ?
$1.3 billion in 2013 | 150 billions downloads
* Source app Annie – 2013 retrospectives / Statistic brains 2013 / Forbes
$10 billions in 2013 | 125 billions downloads
$0.95 billion in 2013 | 4.1 billions downloads
$ 0.55 billion in 2013 | 2.4 billions downloads
• Users go to the app store, Search for apps using 1 or 2 keywords. (95%
of the time will pick the one of the 3 apps that is returned).
• On average users spend only 5 seconds deciding whether or not they
will download your app. Learn here how to capitalize on this buying
– Icons / Tile & Screenshots
– Your keywords
– Your reviews
Nailing the most important conversion levers
• Optimize App Title (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Your app title should both brand your business and communicate the benefit(s) to
– Keep it simple. AB Test your icon / copy successful icon from somebody else
– Google play has specific guidance on keyword stuffing in app titles and penalties
for doing so. Apple’s App Store does not.
• Optimize your screenshots
– Focus 95% of the your effort on the first screen shot. It is the screenshot that will
get the looked at the most
– Test good customer quotes on screenshots (Apple app store)
– Google Play actually allows a mobile app promotional video to precede the screen
How to achieve successful ASO - 1
• What counts for keywords? (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Words in your app title (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Short Description (Google Play only)
o What value your app offers and why someone would let it occupy their precious
mobile storage space
– Long description (Google Play only)
o Benefits to the users, unique features
– Description of your company (Apple App Store only)
– Keywords in your itunes connect (100 characters) – (Apple App Store only)
• When you make an app/ game update it’s a good time for testing.
How to achieve successful ASO - 2
• Get some help: app store keyword research, competitive intelligence,
search rankings, and analytics
– Google’s Keyword Tool
• Primary Category (Apple App Store & Google Play)
– Primary category that accurately reflects the app’s features and benefits
• Secondary Category (Apple App Store)
– Does not do much in my humble opinion, just help with the discoverability of your
How to achieve successful ASO - 2
• Ratings & Reviews
– Why don’t you build a great product ?
– Ask friends to review J
– Provide review feedback capability within the app so that they do not provide
feedback only via the app store
– Ask for 5 stars review
– Use Apptentive for capturing feedback, messaging with users, and soliciting
How to achieve successful ASO - 3
• Statistics / Research:
– The Path case – ($800k fine)
– 78% will not download an app they do not trust.
– 76% believe that they are ultimately responsible for their privacy
– 69% do not like ad tracking.
• Associate your brand with Trusted Partner: TRUSTe
Privacy: A key differentiator
ASO is implemented – now what ?
• You need to understand your game and its user inside out. Meaning you
need to measure everything you can.
• How am I making money ?
• How much money from Advertising, how much money from in app
• How long do user stay active in my game ?
• What is the % of active user, passive user, Ultra Active user (95% of $)
• What can I do to make a passive user become Ultra Active ?
• Every gamer need to understand:
– AVG(REV) by country by Platform, by user
• You need to compute a real time predicted revenue or rtPR for your user
How do you compute this formula for your game ?
rtPR = (AVG(Ad$/Month)/User + AVG(In app$/month)/User) * P(LT) *1000
“ Can not optimize for you don’t measure” – Naghi Prasad
The most important metric
• User engagement = return rate, session frequency, session length, time lapsed
between sessions, intensity of play, average number of days played per week
• Payback Days: Cost - LTV
• Predicted churn: #User at risk of leaving based on user lifetime at a given time
• Remaining lifetime: Predicted #of days remaining for users
• Predicted lifetime value: $ and time associated to a user
• App store ranking: Rank in the app store
• DAU: Daily average users
• CPI: Cost Per install
Metrics you need to put in place
You are ready to start global CPI campaigns