2. Agenda Why listening and speaking? Types of listening and types of speaking Material for listening and material for speaking What skills can be activated in listening and speaking?
3. Why listening and speaking?SPEAKING LISTENING Conversational discourse To process and internalize Pronunciation linguistic information thru(intonation, stress, rhythm) reception. Accuracy and fluency To build and rebuild our schemata in the TL by Affective factors processing meanings. Clustering, redundancy, To master different types of reduced forms. spoken language. Performance To trigger language use for(type of language, tempo) communication of meanings.
4. Types of Speaking and ListeningSpeaking Listening Talking to oneself Imitative Reactive Responsive Intensive Intensive Responsive Interactive Transactional Selective ExtensiveInterpersonalextensive
5. A listening… A lion in love
6. Material for listeningit must… Follow a process of pre-, ongoing, and post-listening. Not be unidirectional, only receiving. Activate schemata and/or background knowledge. Activate and develop the skills of meaning comprehension and negotiation. Exercise different types and characteristics of spoken language.
7. An example of speaking Please, join in groups, 6 groups exactly. The 3 houses we live in… Descriptions Advantages Disadvantages
8. What skills can be activated in…Speaking Listening Discriminate syntactical features Recognize pronunciation in the TL. patterns. Recognize and interpret meanings expressed in different Distinguish syntactical ways. boundaries. Recognize and interpret Process speech with its features. cohesive, coherence, and rhetorical devices. Comprehend meaning by Infer contexts (leteral or establishing relationships implied) by connecting among syntactical features. syntactical features. Infer and predict contexts. Develop and use speaking strategies. Develop and use listening strategies.
9. Considerations for…Speaking Listening Be sure you activate speaking Be sure you activate listening skills skills Set timing for the activity you Focus on one type of listening suggest preferably Account for authentic Focus on few aspects of listening activities speaking, don’t try to cover Provide pre- and post- many listening Guarantee some individual Determine what aspects of practice before performing listening students must focus State your role as a teacher on the most