Role of trade unions in
the democratic systems
• What have you learned so far?
Confederation in the Netherlands
• Christelijk Nationaal Vakverbond (CNV):
National Confederation of Christian Trade Unions in the
• Founded: 13th May 1909
• CNV principle: Social Dialogue is the best instrument to
achieve Decent Work for All
• 330,000 members
Principles to make a SEC work
- Political independence of members
- Representativity of all parties
- Equality and mutual respect between all
- Transparency in procedures of the SEC
Pre-conditions for a Trade Union
to function in the SEC:
Trade Unions need to:
– have credibility, to be transparent and to have
the mandate of its’ members to represent them
at national level.
– have clarity in its mission, vision and strategy.
– have financial means to operate: to inform and
consult its members, obtain expertise and
information on certain topics and to mobilize its
staff/leaders for lobby activities.
– have good relationships at different levels of
society in order to influence decision making.