Esri European User ConferenceOctober 26 – 28, 2011 | Madrid, Spain LPIS Quality Reporting Tool Marcel Meijer, Alterra WUR
Esri European User ConferenceOctober 26 – 28, 2011 | Madrid, SpainOutline of the presentation:1. Introduction: Setting the scene2. Overview: LPIS Quality Assurance Framework3. Problem space: What is needed?4. Technical Realisation5. Future Developments6. Discussion/Questions
1. Introduction: Setting the sceneThe yearly budget for the Common AgriculturalPolicy (CAP) in Europe is around 55 billion Euro’s The bulk of this money goes to farmers in Europe subsidies Source: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/capexplained/cost/index_en.htm
1. Introduction: Setting the sceneThe amount of subsidies a farmer recieves is closelylinked to the agricultural land he uses/cultivates = For example: In the Netherlands and Belgium on average a farmer receives around € 460 per hectare 1 1 Source: http://www.vilt.be/Belgische_boer_goed_bedeeld_qua_toeslagrechten
1. Introduction: Setting the sceneIN ORDER TO RECEIVE THESE SUBSIDIES EACH YEAR DECLARES LAND USED BY THE FARMER FARMER
1. Introduction: Setting the scene Member States have to take the necessary measures to assure that transactions financed by the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund are actually carried out and executed correctly, and to prevent and deal with irregularities. In order to check the declared area an identification system covering all agricultural areas called Land Parcel Identification System (LPIS) needs to be set up!
1. Introduction: Setting the scene LAND USED BY THE FARMER CONTROLS FARMER
1. Introduction: Setting the scene Purpose of the Land Parcel Identification System Goal: identification of each agricultural parcel declared by farmers Obtained: through “reference parcels” providing A geographic location LPIS Identification of parcel extent, boundaries A reference area Other elements of eligibility GIS-environment 8
1. Introduction: Setting the scene Reference parcel – declared parcel Land Parcel Identification System Acts as reference frame for Aid application Use eligibility recorded officially Location in aid Stable over May be application time unstable Has unique over time identifier Area Boundary Use declared claimed by stored in by farmer 1.02ha farmer GIS 987xyz 123xyz 1.23ha Prevents Controlled Double object Declaration “Contracted”Locates [claimed] area in Payment land Area officially application calculation known
1. Introduction: Setting the scene Each European Member State has set up their own LPIS BIGGEST GIS IN EUROPE or even More than 50 LPIS systems! THE WORLD? Millions of objects!
1. Introduction: Setting the scene COMPLEX REGULATIONS!
1. Introduction: Setting the sceneWhat happens if you do not comply with regulations? Financial corrections! RELATED TO LPIS/GIS 20101 € 210.9 million charged to Greece € 41.7 million charged to Romania € 40.69 million charged to Portugal € 20.2 million charged to Bulgaria RELATED TO LPIS/GIS € 76.6 million charged to Sweden 20112 € 22.3 million charged to Denmark 1. Source: http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/1470 2. Source: http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/11/1191&format=HTML&aged=0&langu
1. Introduction: Setting the sceneIn relation to the LPIS/GIS Member States have asked for further clarification on which elements are importantGUIDELINES HOW NO GUIDELINESTO SETUP AN LPIS HOW TO MAINTAIN AN LPIS LPIS Quality Assurance Framework (Art. 6 of Commission Regulation (EC) 1122/2009)
2. Overview: LPIS QAF 2 PRIME FUNCTIONS FOR ANY LPIS 1. a stable identification of the land use - the basis for aid application in any scheme – 2. the correct quantification of the agriculture land (cover) within. How do we test this?
2. Overview: LPIS QAFDo we test the entire reference dataset? Sample size is based on ISO 2859/2-1985 (Procedure A, Limiting Quality = 2%) NO! We take a sample. ISO also describes what is ‘acceptable’ and what is ‘not acceptatble’
2. Overview: LPIS QAF LANDSCAPE CHANGES AND OPERATORS MAKE ERRORS NO PROBLEM NATURE or AGRICULTURE? ROADWORKS
3. Problem space: What is needed? Workflow related to the LPIS QAF is fairly complex (Generic )Tool that- provides management information- is easily adjustable- supports the workflow- allows for multi-user use- uses standard (ArcGIS) edit functionality ArcGIS Extension (within ArcGIS 9.3.1) VB.NET
4. Realisation: ETS Tool SETUP (1)Running the Setup Wizard Setting Up the INI-file
4. Realisation: ETS Tool SETUP (2) (Normal User Toolbar) (Super User Toolbar)
4. Realisation: ETS ToolSuper User functionality allowsyou to manage the workload - Number of Sets - Size of the Sets
4. Realisation: ETS ToolSuper User functionalityalso offers management information
4. Realisation: ETS ToolChecking the Sample (normal user)1. Start checking - An ID is assigned to the user - 3 shapefiles are loaded • a polygon shape with control parcels • a polygon shape for observed parcels • a point shape for remark-points Information for the user
4. Realisation: ETS Tool Checking the SampleThe tool zooms to the firstShape that hasn’t beencheckedNext step is redigitisingthe polygon based onrecent orthoimageryusing standard ArcGISedit-functionality
4. Realisation: ETS ToolThe tool uses standard ArcGIS edit-functionality CREATING NEW POLYGONS MODIFYING EXISTING POLYGONS CUTTING EXISTING POLYGONS
4. Realisation: ETS Tool BEFORE THE TOOL AUTOMATICALLY CALCULATES THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE OLD AND NEW POLYGON AFTER
4. Realisation: ETS Tool ORTHOIMAGERY CLOUDED Feasability Check Is it possible to check the polygon? POLGYON OUTSIDE IMAGE AREA