Mapping and Spatial Analysis
for Understanding Our World
Mapping and Spatial Analysis for Understanding Our World
Planning and Analysis
• Improve your ability to anticipate and manage change
by using spatial analysis.
• Enable better use of resources by making data available
to those who need it.
• Get a comprehensive understanding of the activities
affecting your organization.
What Is GIS?
Geographic information system (GIS) technology gives you a framework for gathering,
organizing, sharing, and analyzing spatial information. You can use GIS to see where things
are, how they relate, what it all means, and what actions to take.
Field Work Force
• Experience better and more coordinated decision making
as well as faster and more efficient field operations.
• Share geographic information and achieve transparency
with your customers and stakeholders.
Geoenable Knowledge Workers
• Discover new patterns in your data when you add
mapping and location to your existing business systems.
technology helps you with fundamental organizational activities:
3. Achieve a Commanding, Collaborative
View of Your World
ArcGIS is a platform for designing and managing solutions through the application of geographic
knowledge. It enables you to do deep analysis, gain a greater understanding of your data, and perform
high-level decision making.
You can use ArcGIS anywhere:
• Field staff can capture, update, analyze, and share
• The office can get up-to-date information to and from
• Organizations can select from a variety of ArcGIS field
mapping applications so that they fit within existing
• The mobile work force can explore and use maps that
have been created using ArcGIS.
• Create maps and apps that make it easy for
stakeholders to access authoritative information.
• Browse maps and apps published by others using
ArcGIS or share your own maps and apps.
• Publish map and data services that others can access
and include in their projects.
• Use map templates that automate many aspects of
• Build models that help users scientifically analyze data.
• Create geodatabases.
• Manage and edit geographic data.
ArcGIS drive-time analysis helps you reduce costs related to travel times.
edit maps and
data using your
Work with 2D and 3D views
side by side for better
understanding and analysis
of geographic data.
4. ArcGIS: Mapping and Sp
Your data, our data—
integrate and analyze
data for improved
Maps & Apps
Build custom web,
mobile, and desktop
ArcGIS APIs and SDKs.
Create, analyze, and
share great maps and
apps throughout your
Understand the spatial relationships among your
assets, customers, and other points of interest.
Planning and Analysis
Analyze location information for better planning.
Provide a comprehensive view of operations.
The ArcGIS platform enables all employees of an
organization to discover, use, make, and share maps
from any device, anywhere, anytime.
ArcGIS: Mapping and Spatial
5. patial Analysis Platform
Enhance your CMS and
BI solutions with
Create interactive maps
made with your Excel
Embed maps in
blogs, web pages,
and share them
through social media.
Geoenable Knowledge Workers
Add mapping and location into your existing
business systems to discover new patterns.
Share geographic information with your
customers and stakeholders.
Get information into and out of the field.
6. Ready-to-Use Data
Add context to your maps with a range of ready-to-use
geospatial data accessed either online or via DVD:
• Basemaps (streets, imagery, topographic)
• Demographic maps
• Consumer spending data
• Business data (such as business locations, traffic counts,
and crime indexes)
In addition, Esri has a large global online community of
users who regularly contribute their authoritative content
and make it available to everyone via the cloud.
Build Your Own Mapping
ArcGIS developer tools make it easy to get started:
• Create simple maps from your enterprise data.
• Build and deploy GIS applications on multiple platforms.
• Publish and consume GIS web services using REST.
• Get sample code, configurable templates, online data,
and more, to help you develop useful GIS applications.
Imagery is one of the many types of data that are core to ArcGIS.
Build apps for web, mobile, and desktop with ArcGIS APIs and SDKs.
ArcGIS is based on accepted standards to ensure a high
level of interoperability across platforms, databases,
development languages, and applications. It helps you
achieve the following:
• Secure, reliable, and maintainable architectures
• Optimized performance, scalability, agility, and
• Measurable return on investment
7. ArcGIS Maintenance Program
Esri offers a cost-effective maintenance program that
includes software updates, technical support, and
many other benefits. Offered as an annual subscription,
this program makes it easy for you to plan for the cost
of support and software updates. Complimentary
registrations to the Esri International User Conference are
included with certain standard Esri®
options. For more information, visit esri.com/maintenance.
Esri offers an array of technical support and user
community resources to help you meet your GIS challenges.
From 24/7 technical support to online user groups and a
variety of self-help resources, Esri has the tools to make you
successful. For more information, visit esri.com/support.
Esri offers instructor-led courses at Esri learning centers
and client facilities around the world as well as over the
Internet. Self-study web courses are also available for
those who prefer online training. Esri combines hands-on
experience, interactivity, and instructional support to
create an effective learning environment. For more
information, visit esri.com/training.
To help you use Esri software and learn the many
applications of geospatial technology, Esri Press publishes
reference books, software tutorials, case studies, and GIS
map books. Esri Press books help the first-time learner, as
well as the professional GIS user, and are available through
major booksellers and from Esri at esri.com/esripress.
Esri GIS professionals offer consulting, design,
programming, and implementation services as well as
database design and assistance in data publishing. For
more information, visit esri.com/services.
Esri Support and Educational Services
Esri has a long-standing commitment to serving and responding to the GIS user community, and that commitment is
exemplified by the breadth of Esri’s support services. ArcGIS support and educational services consist of the following:
assistance in courses
taught in both
traditional and virtual