EROAD is a heavy user of CloudFormation, and we've been through a few iterations of our design now. Initially all our platform was provisioned through cloudformation, however we found that it was difficult to manage long lived, stateful systems like database servers in this manner, i.e.to do a disk resize. We now use CloudFormation to manage our stateless infrastructure (networks, security groups, autoscaling servers, etc) while using the AWS API to provision long lived systems, we believe this offers the best of both worlds. We have also developed a custom tool, SuperStacker which is a Ruby DSL for generating cloudformation templates, and provisioning multi-stack environments. Check it out on GitHub! https://github.com/eroad
EROAD AWS Summit
7th May 2014
• Fully integrated technology, road charging and
• In 2009 the company implemented the world’s
first network-wide GPS/cellular based road
• Collects $250m RUC annually in New Zealand
• Between April 2010 and March 2012 we grew
more than 2,700%. Now have 120+ FTEs.
• Rapid growth earning a bunch of awards but only
just the beginning as we start to expand globally
High scale SaaS solution currently averaging OBU 327 events/sec peaking at over 2000
AWS and benefits
Needed a global IaaS partner.
EROAD uses multi-AZ in 3 regions.
Cost to monthly revenue
Allows us to shape our costs to monthly revenue
while we grow fast (CapEx to OpEx)
Shape costs to variable demand.
AWS continually innovates and by chance
provides services we need just in time off the
AWS and benefits
AWS and EROAD security
fundamental in the Oregon
Secretary of State Audit Report
Low cost environment
Low cost staging and experiment environments
encouraging innovation. Cheap and easy DR.
Pushed EROAD to mature
and automate everything
99.99% service availability experienced
(4.3 minutes / month down)
• Establish a platform team dedicated to providing the best
platform product to developers, business and customers
• Do low cost experiments early and often
• Redshift and Tableau enabled EROAD to provide an analytics
service in record time and cost
• Favourite services, although we use many more:
• Route 53 health checks
• CloudFormation is great for stateless components
• EROAD is a heavy user of CloudFormation. Have done a few
design iterations. Difficult to manage long lived stateful systems.
Try a disk resize on a database.
• We use CloudFormation to manage our stateless infrastructure
(networks, security groups, autoscaling servers, etc) while using
the AWS API to provision long lived systems, we believe this offers
the best of both worlds.
• Developed a tool called SuperStacker. A Ruby DSL for generating
cloudformation templates, and provisioning multi-stack
environments. Check it out on GitHub https://github.com/eroad
• Oregon HV market is six times larger than comparable NZ
market. Wider US potential market for EROAD solution
50x larger than comparable NZ market
• Scale, scale and more scale like any global SaaS provider
• Cost down infrastructure as we scale
• Increase data science and analytics capability for internal
purposes, customers and data business. With a large
vehicle network EROAD has the ability to provide great
insights into the road network.