1. The Republic of Uganda UGANDA AGRICULTURE SECTOR DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY AND INVESTMENT PLANA PAPER PRESENTED AT THE EMRC AGRIBUSINESS FORUM 2010 AT SPEKE RESORT MUNYONYO 3RD – 6TH OCTOBER 2010 By SAM SEMANDA Commissioner, Agricultural Planning and Development
2. Introduction• Agriculture plays a central role in development, economic growth and poverty reduction• The National Development Plan recognises agriculture as one of the key productive sectors driving the economy.
3. Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP)• Africa agric. program agreed to by Heads of State;• Uganda signed the CAADP Compact on 31st March 2010Pursues;• Agriculture-led growth as a main strategy;• 6 percent average annual growth rate for the agricultural sector• 10% share of national budget allocated to agricultural sector.
4. CHALLENGES FACING AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT IN UGANDA• Low Productivity.• Climate Change.• Inadequate storage and High post harvest losses• Inadequate marketing and agro processing facilities• Among others…
5. The Ministry of Agriculture’s Vision and Mission . The vision: “A Competitive, Profitable and Sustainable Agricultural Sector”. The mission: “Transform subsistence farming to commercial agriculture”.
6. Sector Objectives• Increase household incomes by raising agricultural production and productivity.• Ensure national and household food and nutritional security.• Create employment opportunities both on farm and off farm.• Promote value addition to agricultural products• Promote domestic and external trade in agricultural product.
7. ENHANCING PRODUCTION AND PRODUCTIVITY• Agricultural Research and Technology Development.• Advisory Services and Technology Delivery.• Pest and Disease Control.• Sustainable Land Management.• Water for Agricultural Production.• Labour Saving Technologies and Mechanisation• Agricultural Livelihoods in Northern Uganda.• Promoting Strategic Enterprises
8. MARKET ACCESS AND VALUE ADDITION• Improving Regulatory Services to facilitate Niche Market Development.• Promoting the Use of High Quality Inputs, Planting and Stocking materials.• Promoting Value Addition Activities.• Improving the Rural Market Infrastructure• Promoting Collective Marketing.
9. IMPROVING THE ENABLING ENVIRONMENT• Formulation of the National Policy Framework.• Streamline Planning and Policy Development at the ministry.• Supporting Public Education Programmes for Agriculture.• Establishing Mechanisms for Capturing accurate agricultural statistics.• Develop Capacity for Climate Change Planning.
10. INSTITUTIONAL STRENGTHENING IN THE SECTOR• The focus; ensuring sector institutional structures and systems are optimally configured to achieve impact.• Public spending directed on increased agricultural productivity, improved market access and a functioning enabling environment
11. Conclusion• Government has put in place excellent incentives and policy framework conducive for investment in the sector.• The sector has potential for mass production and export of high value agricultural products.• It is our expectation that this forum brings together concerted efforts towards investing in agriculture in order to realize this potential.