Gartner Data – Private cloud well underwayQuick Look at EMCs key products for the private cloudBELOW ARE NOTES ONLY, NOT FOR MONITORPrivate Cloud Computing Ramps Up in 2011, Thomas J. Bittman, Donna Scott, G00210768, March 3, 2011Question 1: Will your enterprise be pursuing a private cloud strategy by 2014? 66% yes, 24% maybe, 10% no.Question 2: Where are you with private cloud computing? 35% implemented already (19% are in production), 30% plan to in 2011, 16% in 2012, 14% no plans, 5% don’t know
Most customers spend the majority of their IT budgets as much as 3/4 on managing & maintaining their infrastructure instead of adding value. So most customers are embarking on a Journey – a Journey to Your Cloud – and it typically starts with Virtualization. In the first phase of the Journey you start out by solving problems with simple ROI wins to make things simpler and more efficient and trying to deal with things that aren’t necessarily mission-critical to your business operation, but instead things that help you run and manage your infrastructure. As you progress on the journey you start focusing on availability, scalability, and securing and protecting your information so you can focus on the IT mission critical business. Eventually you will evolve to the Public Cloud moving beyond Virtualization and this is running IT as a Service – the ability to provide users with the ability to self provision, flexibility in terms of what types of devices they use to access the information and where these applications will run in your environment.This is a journey many have embarked on, and one that most people are in phase 1 or phase 2, and few although EMC is one that is in phase 3.
With this new infrastructure –mobility of applications and data, we must consider accessibility…As you look at this transformed infrastructure, the flexibility becomes clear with dynamic mobility of applications, processing, and storage. What about access? There are now a range of end user devices…sure laptops of course, but the preferred access these days is through Smart Phones and tablets… These devices are making it into the workplace whether we like it or not. I’m sure you have been in meetings with several ipads on the table, none of which are company funded, but most likely have company data on it. IT needs to enable end user choice while maintaining control, security, and compliance. That’s what Virtual desktop infrastructure is all about. Any device, anywhere… That VDI infrastructure puts a lot of strain on a storage environment. When all the users arrive to work and boot up, that’s a lot of IO, you need a scalable storage infrastructure that can take advantage of technologies like enterprise flash, to ensure the best user experience.Infrastructure <CLICK>Protect <CLICK>Hybrid <CLICK>Analyze <CLICK>This picture summarizes the core portfolio of EMC. We can walk through elements of this in more detail later in our discussion today. On the left we see the core products that EMC is best known for providing at hi/mid/SMB markets. On the right: This new domain of Big Data. As a thought leader, we’re trying to drive an understanding of what Big Data is all about. What we’ve seen from customers is that as these data sets continue to grow in size and distribution, in terms of location and different silos of the corporation or the timeliness of the requirements, “I can't wait a week for that report, I need it right now,” that those things are driving a fundamental rearchitecting. The current solutions don’t work. I need a different architecture to go attack it, to be able to capture it, to store it, to get intelligence, to get business value from it.” And that’s what we think of as big data. It’s these attributes coming together: Scale, distribution, timelines, dispirit locations, and how can you pull that together into a new architecture that allows people to store and get value from it?New requirements for this demand extraordinary scale. Between Atmos and Isilon and Greenplum, we have the leading assets to help customers here.In the middle: the hybrid technologies to management, security, and VPlex that allow us to transition between these two worlds. RSA, trust in the cloud. We see this as the biggest stumbling block or fear or challenge that IT managers face either from the private or a public cloud perspective, so a critical area as we’re driving forward in this area.And then the key technology is data computing now with Greenplum to take advantage of data in these worlds. Greenplum is very much a net new infrastructure for people who are looking at their data warehouse or their business analytics environment today and they’re sort of stuck. It’s like a cul-de-sac where it does that stuff very well but it doesn’t scale to what they want to do in the future and thus we’re seeing customers building this net new infrastructure. In fact, many times adding it to and complementing the infrastructure that they already have. It needs to be cloud ready and expansion capable and with that, the shared nothing, MPP architecture of Greenplum, extraordinary scalability and extraordinary performance.What we’re seeing more and more in customer environments is not just about storage, it’s a complete solution. And for that, it’s also things like security, virtual appliances. We’ve measured the points of integration that we have as well as what others in the industry have. We have 75, more than anybody else. We have more points of integration across a breadth of capabilities, across our whole portfolio, for virtualized environments.
1. 3 Stages of Journey to Cloud – An Introduction IT Production| Business Production| IT as Service IT Production 1 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 1
2. Today’s Realities Dramatic Aging Data Complex Scrutinized Information Centers Monolithic Budgets Growth Apps Dedicated 100% Allocated Rapidly Solution Customized 30% Utilized Changing Delivery Infrastructure Business Time Stacks 2 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 2
3. Three Approaches to IT Consumption Über-Cloud Verticalization Virtualization Service Providers? Service Providers Systems Integrators Systems Integrators Applications Applications Middleware Middleware Database Database Operating System Operating System Server Storage Virtual Infrastructure Network CPU Pool Storage Pool Network Silicon 3 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 3
4. EMC-ZinnovPrivate Cloud Landscape in India Private Cloud to deliver up to 50% saving to Indian enterprises Private Cloud = 75% of the cloud market by 2015 Total cloud computing market to grow more than 10x in next 5 years to reach US$4.5 billion; private cloud to account for US$3.5 billion Private Cloud to create 1 lakh additional jobs by 2015 4 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 4
5. The Journey To Your CloudEnterprise IT Private Cloud New End User Computing End User Provisioning Transformation New Application Platform Application Transformation Infrastructure Transformation Automated Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure Private Public 5 Cloud Meets Big Data © Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 5
6. The New IT Landscape How do you weave all this together Existing Apps into a cohesive, secure, New Cloud Apps SaaS Apps Cloud infrastructure? Private Cloud Existing Datacenters Public Cloud Services 6 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 6
7. We’re focused on your success Accelerate The Journey To Your Cloud IT Production Business Production IT-as-a-Service Lower Cost Improve Quality of Service Improve Agility Simplicity Scalability Standardization Efficiency Continuity Automation Protection Security% Virtualized Run IT as a Development, test, and Mission-critical Business , Run a Data IT-owned applications applications driven Business- Big Data Phase 1 Phase 2 Phase 3 IT Owned Apps Mission Critical Apps Run IT as a Business 7 Cloud Meets Big Data © Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 7
8. And this is what we changed into….. Virtual Desktop Infrastructure: End-User Choice With IT View Control Enterprise Applications Big Data Applications Greenplum Big Data Analytics Structured & Unstructured Massive Scalability vFabric vFabric Cloud vCloud Cloud vShield Director vSphere Foundry Hybrid Technologies vSphere Foundry Security And Compliance Ionix Policy-Driven Management Transactional Storage Big Data Storage VNX VMAX Integrated Data Mobility Linear Scalability, OperationalAtmos VMware Integration, Simplicity, Efficiency, Isilon Simplicity, Scalability, Availability VPLEX Geographic Distribution, File And Object Data Domain,And VMwareNetworker Backup Avamar, Speed, Deduplication, Archiving Integration 8 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 8
9. An Organizational Evolution Is UnderwayImperativeBusiness andfinancial management IT Service ManagementCloud Business SolutionconsultantsNew focus area User Infrastructur EnterpriseCloud service Platform as Interface as e as a Applicationsoperations management a Service a service Service as a ServiceCloud ServiceManagersNew roles emergingCloud Architect, CloudAdmin Virtual Infrastructure ArchitectureCloud Capacity PlannerIT Automation Engineer , Virtual InfrastructureCloud Infra Admin , Cloud ManagementProcess Engineers , CloudSecurity Architects , CloudGRC managers Backup DataTraditional roles are Systems Storage and Center Securitystill essential Recover Network y s 9 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 9
10. Keeping IT Simple… 10 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 10
11. CLOUD TRANSFORMS IT BIG DATA TRANSFORMS BUSINESS 11 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 11
12. YOU CAN LEAD IT THANK YOU 12 Cloud Meets Big Data© Copyright 2011 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved. 17-18 November 2011. Grand Hyatt - Mumbai 12