• Manpower Planning which is also called as Human
Resource Planning consists of putting right number of
people, right kind of people at the right place, right
time, doing the right things for which they are suited,
for the achievement of goals of the organization.
• Human resource planning is a process that identifies
current & future human needs for an organization to
achieve its goals.
Need of Manpower Planning
• Analyzes Current Human Resources & Manpower forecasts
• Shortages & Surpluses – Manpower
• Design Employment Programmes
• Helps to Reduce Labour Cost
• Overstaffing Can Be Avoided.
• Growth & Diversification of Business
• Training Programmes to Develop Talents.
• Manpower Management.
Steps In Manpower Planning
• Analyzing Current Manpower Inventory
• Type of Organization, Number & Quantity of
• Employees In Work Units
• Making Future Manpower forecasts
• Expert Forecasts: Expert Surveys & Delphi Technique
• Trend Analysis
• Work Load Analysis & Work force Analysis
• Other Methods: Budget & Planning Analysis
• Developing Employment Programmes
• Design Training Programmes
• Advancement &
• Satisfy needs of the
• Anticipating the cost of
• Foresee the need for
• Planning for working
conditions like canteen,
• Difficult to prepare long
range forecast accurately.
• Changes in economic
market condition &
labour force condition
tend to make long range
• Uncertainty &
are more when it comes
to dealing with human
• It is a positive process as it attracts suitable candidates to
apply for the available jobs. The process of recruitment
• Identify the different sources of labour supply
• Choose the most suitable source
• Invite applications from the prospective candidates.
Recruitment – Internal Sources
• Retired Managers
• Recall from Long
• Prevents New Blood from entering
• Limited scope
• Bias or Partiality.
• Economical & Reliable
• Induction Training – not required
• Motivates the Employees
• Reduces Executive Turnover
• Develops Loyalty.
Recruitment – External Sources
• Employment at
• Job Consultants
• Labour Contractors
• Encourages Young Blood with New
Ideas to enter the Organization.
• Wide Scope for Selection.
• Less chances of Bias or Partiality.
• Existing Managers may leave the
organization if outsiders are given
• Costly & Time Consuming
• This process helps the company in filling the suitable
employees with suitable positions to perform the task and
duties in the organization.
• Selection is not same as recruitment because it talks about
choosing the best and the right candidate for the position,
for the vacancy and for the organization.
• It requires the candidate should possess skills, abilities,
knowledge, eligibility, qualification and many more.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.