Scale of Change
• Permitted and emerging
– Approx 3,400 homes
– Approx 29,000 m2 (312,000 sq.ft) business
– Approx 9,000 m2 (97,000 sq.ft) shops/cafes
– Approx. 6,400 new residents
– Approx. 1,300 new jobs
1. Introduce idea of Charrette
“A Charrette is a multidisciplinary inclusive design
process – conducted on site and in an
uncomfortably short time frame”
2. What we are trying to achieve
“The object is to give a forum for the best ideas to
be developed, chosen and combined into a new
aspirational plan for the area. The short time
frame and the inclusive nature of the process
aims to achieve transformative change”
(1) Public space and movement plan.
(2) An audit of the Creek as key environmental infrastructure and
options for enhancement and use.
(3) An audit of existing urban form and options for development
including building type, character, rules and guidance.
(4) An indicative map presenting opportunities and options for mix
of uses and geography of mix.
(5) A definition of what sustainable development means for the
Creekside, options for sustainable infrastructure and appropriate
(6) An audit of existing economic drivers and new options for
enhancement and development.
(7) Visuals and models of how the Creekside would look and work.
How will the Deptford Creek charrette work?
Team Input together
Initial Fine Final
Ideas Tuning Plan
information, Work up Final presentation
ideas & more ideas for endorsement
22/5 Thurs 9/6 Mon 11/6 Wed 13/6 Fri 9/7 Wed
Main Charrette Week
3. What we want to get from you
• How you use the Creekside area?
• How you would like to use the area?
• What issues you would like the design team to address
• Be “ambassadors” for the process
4. Creative Process are here to be the catalysts but not the
directors of the process or the owners of the outputs– we
have no pre designed plan for the area up our sleeves, as
near as possible, we start with a blank sheet of paper – and
the results will be jointly owned by all of you who take
5. Resources that are available for the process