• Last cynipid-specific curator died
• Roughly 114 drawers
• Traditional methods
– The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
– Limitations and problems
• New methods
• New problems and questions
Top (both) and bottom right photos
from CP Gillette Museum, CSU
New Problems and Questions
• What is the status of galls? Type galls?
– How do polythalamus galls affect this?
– What do we consider galls that don’t have a
• What are our options for barcoding?
• What do we do with huge galls?
Extra Notes and Treasures
• Hand writing
• Vials of nectar
• “Pieces of history”
Acknowledgments: Systematic Entomology Lab (USDA-
ARS) for funding this project. Thanks are given to Ray
Gagne (SEL Emeritus) and Boris Kondratieff (CP Gillette
Museum, Colorado State University) for their
assistance, and Smithsonian Combined Entomology for
Top photo by Whitney Cranshaw