HaleyOrcutt Academy High School Frosh Core March 1, 2013
• Creating art expands a childs ability to interact with the world around them, and provides a new set of skills for self-expression and communication. Not only does art help to develop the right side of the brain, it also promotes important skills that benefit a childs development. But art goes far beyond the factual statistics measured by studies, it can become an essential mode of free self-expression and amazement for children. Art matters the same way language matters, it is a crucial component of what makes us uniquely human.
• Art is important in children’s lives because it improves emotional skills and problem solving skills.
• When children are involved in art at an early age, they are able to better develop their emotional skills.
• Through creative art, children may be able to represent experiences that they can’t tell others. They might draw pictures that are crazy and outrageous, exaggerating ideas or events that are important to them (Creative Art Helps Children Develop across Many Domains).
• “It may provide the child and others with insights into the child’s thoughts and feelings, thus allowing for conversation and further discussion.” (Bullard)
Art helps children explore different emotions and lets them express themselves in a safe ,effective way Strongly agree agree disagree strongly disagree 0% 7% 46% 47%Data obtained from self-generated survey. Take survey here!
• Through art, children will learn different ways to solve problems.
• Art lets children experience situations and teaches them that a problem can have more than one solution. Instead of going by specific rules or directions, as they may be encouraged to do in school and in their homes, art engages kids brains and makes them ask questions like how and why (Zaniboni).
• Creative Arts Teacher, Jo Murphy, explains Dewey Eisner’s thoughts on art’s influence saying, “He describes a process whereby students identify a problem, select qualities and organize them so that they function expressively through a medium.”
The inclusion of art in childrens lives is imperative 15 10 5 0 Strongly Agree Agree Disagree Strongly Disagree• Data obtained from self-generated survey. Take survey now!
• Art not only provides entertainment for children, it also provides an outlet for them which improves their emotional skills and teaches them proper problem solving skills.
• Diana said, "My kids express things through their art that they dont even have words for yet."• Lindsay said, "Art helps my kids feel willing to try new ideas, to experiment, to solve problems."
• Bullard, J. "How the Art Center Enhances Childrens Development." n.d. Education.com. 4 February 2013.• "Creative Art Helps Children Develop across Many Domains." 15 July 2011. Extension.org. 31 January 2013. <http://www.examiner.com/article/the-importance-of-art-children- s-cognitive-social-and-emotional-development>.• Murphy, Jo. "Creative Arts Develop Problem Solving Skills." 7 March 2009. Suite101.com. 7 February 2013.• Smith, Fran. "Why Arts Education is Crucial, Whos Doing it Best." 28 January 2009. Edutopia. 31 January 2013. <http://www.edutopia.org/arts-music-curriculum-child- development>.• Zaniboni, Lauren. "The Importance of Art in Childrens Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development." 16 October 2012. Examiner.com. 31 January 2013. <http://www.examiner.com/article/the-importance-of-art-children-s-cognitive- social-and-emotional-development>.
• Haley• Orcutt Academy High School• Frosh Core• March 1, 2013