Summary – Canada
• Wireless phones are among the fastest
growing consumer products in history.
• At the end of December 2009, Canadian
wireless phone subscribers numbered
• Together, Canada's wireless carriers now
offer coverage to more than 99 per cent
• 75% of Canadian households have
access to a wireless phone.
• Canadians send 100 million text
messages per day.
• Half of all phone connections in Canada
are now wireless.
Mobile Data Usage
Sympatico.ca Mobile Survey (Sept 2009)
• 53% of mobile users can access the Internet on their mobile device (up vs 33% in
Neilson (Q1 09 Data)
• 21 percent of Canadian mobile subscribers use their cell phones to browse the
• There are 3.9M unique mobile internet users in Canada.
• Top categories accessed via the Mobile Web include: Portals, e-mail, weather,
news & current event and search.
Source: www.nielsen.com June 2009.
Consumer Mobile Activity
• The 3 most prevalent attitudes
regarding mobile media use were:
– Makes life easier (getting store information,
location, product availability)
– Saves money (downloading coupons, price
comparison, sale/promo notice)
– Brand information (product
information/reviews, notice of new product,
Source: Sympatico.ca MOBILE Survey
Mobile Media Profile
• Mobile Media users tend to be:
– Younger (47% are 18-34 vs. 35% of mobile owners
– Male (54% vs. 48% of mobile owners in general) -
Have kids in house (47% vs. 41%)
– Early adopters (24% vs. 15%) - 39% of users use a
search engine to access mobile media
– 31% of users type a website name directly into a
– 24% of website access on mobile devices is
– 51% of mobile media users have at least one site
that they visit
Source: Sympatico.ca MOBILE Survey
Summary – US
• Not all about iPhones
• Consumers are using mobile for value added content, news, social, weather
• Reaches all demographics … not about youth or men anymore
• Mobile social activity is skyrocketing
It Is Not Just About iPhones…
• iPhones have a high share of
voice and high data usage.
• Motorola, Nokia, RIM
(Blackberry) and other
manufactures still have much
higher penetration of the market.
• Mobile is not about youth or men
– Over 45 and women have high mobile usage
– More prevalent in higher income levels
– Smartphones have an even higher income level
6/12: Cell Phone Nation
Source: Jupiter Research, Sep 2008 June 12, 2009 by The Marist Poll
Mobile Information Being Accessed
• Social Media and News are the most access information on a mobile device.
• There will be 74 million US mobile Internet video users by 2015, up from 21
million in 2010 | Coda Research.
Smart Phone Usage
Smartphones Set for Rapid
•Although only 21% of American
wireless subscribers were using a
smartphone as of Q4 2009
compared to 19% in Q3 2009 and
14% at the end of 2008, Nielsen
expects smartphones to account
for more than half of the US mobile
phone market by 2011.
Smart Phone Activities...
Smartphone Mobile Usage
•The internet is the top
mobile activity on
iPhone Application Statistics
iPhone Engagement Metrics6
•Minutes per use: 9.6
•Uses per user: 19.9
•Time spent with games/applications per user: 3 hours 10 minutes
•46% of users play 5 times or more
•10.2% play 25 times or more
•36% of iPhone users download 1-5 paid apps each week, compared to 16% of
Android users | Via Crowd Science
Mobile Social Media
• In January 2010, 11.1% of all mobile phone
users accessed a social networking site via
• Smartphone owners, 30.8% of whom accessed social
networking sites on their mobile browsers,
• Just 6.8% of feature phone users accessed social
networking sites on their mobile phones.
• Only 7% of mobile social networking activity
was represented by 13-to-17-year-olds and
only 16% by 18-to-24-year-olds in December
• 35-to-54-year-olds, who accounted for 36% of mobile
social network usage in December 2009.
• 25-to-34-year-olds, who performed 34% of the month’s
mobile social networking activity.
• users ages 55 and up combined for the remaining 7%.
Source: comScore, Inc
What Do The Stats Tell Us?
• Mobile can reach most consumers
• We need many tactics to reach customers
• Users are becoming engaged with mobile devices and mobile web
Where To Find Information?
• Mobile Marketer: www.mobilemarketer.com
• AdMob: metrics.admob.com
• Mobile Marketing Association: http://mmaglobal.com