Ocean of changes is very stormy; there lie’s a lot of obstacles, energy pits and submerged reefs. Many Companies have experienced or are experiencing heavy storms, when planned changes get stuck and results are nowhere in sight, when starting to doubt the professionalism of employees or consultants. Management specialists call this phenomenon “A global resistance to change “but Homer in „Odyssey“ depicted as Sirens. Their magical voice tempted sailors to stop and forget to seek their travel goals. It is obvious that from the ancient times, the energetic leaders searched for the golden key to overcome this irresistibly sweet voice, wich is lapping both body and soul in a fatal lethargy.
We believe that Homer was right - this phenomenon - resistant to changes - is more related with deceiving voices of Sirens. “Sirens” of our days are the distortion of information and not the people who are resisting the change. Sirens tempted sailors to a fictional pleasure, relaxation and the oblivion embrace. However none of the ships that encountered them could resist the seduction and usually shattered on hidden reefs and rocks or even swash.
So, business is dominated by 3 main flows:
1. Information (Wind and weather forecast)
2. Product/service (Operational process – Ship management),
3. Money (Finance process – Captain’s Logbook)
Financial process is the most regulated and most computerised. Everyone focuses toward operational process, because it is in a free ocean, which needs to be managed. However most get stuck with informational flow. It is like wind, which is possible to curb only if the ship has the right management. Wind, while in our situation-Information is necessary, however not enough so that our ship and sailors would meet their goals.
Where are the Sirens?
1. IT program adaptation in to the company requires from both sides (IT and Management) a very good business understanding, however that is a rear synergy. Homer calls it “Gods help” for an Odyssey. It is really hard to get, God attention, at the right time; therefore companies usually operate not on a fully correct information. Homer Odyssey, and in our case - Change Initiator has to be content with current data, accepting them like „facts“, or he has to recheck them. Rechecking takes long time and requires competency in the IT area, but we all know that crew expect fast results, otherwise their enthusiasm at best falls.
2. Often planners plan just production process, and supply and sales planning usually is left to the Cyclops, where some of the Cyclops see only procurement budget frames and others see just clients requirements. They have only one eye and can only focus on one aspect.
3. With a wide or constantly changing assortment production „sailing“ routs are volatile, they depend on the order portfolio, therefore productivity become hard to guess, bottleneck migrates and product routs description looks like an impossible task.
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.