Ahadith On Reliance On AllahPresentation Transcript
Firm Belief and Perfect Reliance on Allah Chapter 7 Riyad-us-Saliheen Al-Imam Abu Zakariya Yahya bin Sharaf An-Nawawi Ad-Dimashqi
People with perfect reliance on Allah (SWT) will enter Jannah
77. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "A group of people (both men and women) whose hearts will be like the hearts of birds, will enter Jannah". [Muslim].
1. Excellence of trust in Allah and kindness of heart are most valuable qualities because both of them are means to enter Jannah.
2. One should not worry much about one's food and means of subsistence. In fact, people should have the heart like birds who do not collect to keep in reserve anything and go out every morning in search of food and return to their nests fully satiated. This advice is repeated in another Hadith to the effect that when birds leave their nests in the morning they are hungry but when they come back, their stomachs are full and they do not need any more food.
Hadith No 78
78. Jabir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I went in an expedition along with the Prophet (PBUH) in the direction of Najd. When Messenger of Allah (PBUH) returned, I also returned with him. Then the mid-day sleep overtook us in a valley full of prickly shrubs. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) got down and the people scattered around seeking shade under the trees. Messenger of Allah (PBUH) hang up his sword on the branch of a tree. We were enjoying a sleep when Messenger of Allah (PBUH) called us, and lo! There was a desert Arab bedouin near him. He (PBUH) said, "This man brandished my sword over me while I was asleep. I woke up and saw it in his hand unsheathed. He asked: `Who will protect you from me?' I replied: 'Allah' - thrice". He did not punish him and sat down. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Besides the Prophet's habit of pardoning, and gracious attitude, this Hadith mentions his utmost trust in Allah. It tells that one who has trust in Allah is helped by Him. Later on, the bedouin mentioned in the Hadith embraced Islam. In the battle of Dhat-ur-Riqa` which took place in the sixth year of the Hijra, due to intense heat and lack of footwear, the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH) wrapped their feet with pieces of cloth and for this reason it was called "War of patches of cloth (Dhat-ur-Riqa`)''. Some scholars have also given a different reason for this name.
Hadith # 79
79. `Umar (May Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying: "If you all depend on Allah with due reliance, He would certainly give you provision as He gives it to birds who go forth hungry in the morning and return with full belly at dusk". [At-Tirmidhi].
Trust in Allah does not mean that one should not give any importance to material resources. What it really means is that along with their due importance, one should have full trust in Allah. Without His Will, material resources are of no avail. But nevertheless it is necessary to have material resources because their procurement is also ordained by Him. Birds do not keep sitting in their nests for food but fly out in search of it.
80. Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) said: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) asked me to recite whenever I go to bed: "Allahumma aslamtu nafsi ilaika, wa wajjahtu wajhi ilaika, wa fawwadtu amri ilaika, wal-ja'tu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, la malja wa la manja minka illa ilaika. Amantu bikitabikal-ladhi anzalta, wa nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta (O Allah! I have submitted myself to You, I have turned my face to You, entrusted my affairs to You; and committed my back to You out of desire for You and fear of You; expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment). There is no refuge and no place of safety from You but with You. I believe in the Book You have revealed and in the Prophet You have sent.'' Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said that if anyone recited these words and died that night, he would die in the true religion. In case he remains alive till morning, he will obtain good. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Commentary: It is better to make Wudu' before going to sleep. Similarly, it is also meritorious to recite the invocation mentioned in the Hadith before one goes to bed, because it is a prayer for the renewal of Islam and Faith and request for grant of peace and security.
Recite two ayahs related to reliance upon Allah (SWT).
Relate one more instance from Seerah related to reliance upon Allah (SWT).
Relate an instance from Sahaba regarding reliance upon Allah (SWT).