1. Paper IdeasJust to get your creative juices going…
2. Choosing a Topic1. Pick an event, i.e. last year’s fire in Bastrop2. Pick something from the story that speaks to that event, i.e. destruction of the city by the Bull of Heaven3. Compare and contrast the event and the reading, i.e., the feats of Gilgamesh and Enkidu with the firefighters.4. Re-read significant parts of the story, i.e. Tablet VI
3. Choosing a Topic (cont)5. How are the events similar? Different? i.e., Both are dealing with a strong and uncontrollable, almost supernatural force that is destroying Bastrop/Uruk. Like Gilgamesh and Enkidu, the firefighters have to find the weak point of the fire, work together, be brave and skillful in order to defeat the fire, etc.
4. Choosing a Topic (cont)6. Dig deeper, i.e., how would Gilgamesh & Enkidu advise the firefighters on such issues as being prepared, finding the weak spot, working together, etc.?7. Be specific, creative, analytic. Put your knowledge of the current event and the insights from your reading into your paper.
5. • What do you think Gilgamesh or Uta-napishtaor his wife would have to say about the latest“you can live forever” medical breakthrough?
6. • How is the quest for fame affecting the lives of a contemporary living or dead person? What insights about the quest for fame, fame itself or its aftereffects can you glean from our story?
7. •Plagiarism Statement• Remember all students are required to do their own work on exams and papers. All UHCL students are responsible for knowing the standards of academic honesty. Please refer to the UHCL catalog for the Academic Honesty Policy.• Plagiarism, using research without citation or using a created production without crediting the source, is forbidden and will result in a grade of zero for the assignment.• Plagiarism includes using uncited information gleamed from websites, materials accessed off-line, or work with other students. Use Chicago Manual of Style or MLA format to document citations.
8. •Questions? • Let’s talk in the Discussion area.