FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON DNB
BY DR. OM J LAKHANI
I have been receiving a lot of requests on guidance for DNB counseling and other information. Here is a
general information on DNB based on Frequently asked questions by the students.
Q. Is DNB equivalent to MD or MS ?
Yes. According to National Board, DNB is considered equivalent to MD/MS for all practical purposes. This
means for employment purpose or for any other reason nobody can discriminate against you because
you have DNB and not MD or MS.
Q. What should you keep in mind while joining DNB institutes ?
Keep the following rules in Mind.
1. Prefer Government or semi government institutes over Purely Private
2. Prefer DNB seats attached to Medical colleges or teaching institutions. In these places you will be
exposed to better academics. Also your residency would be counted as teaching experience, which
would be useful for you future career.
3. Prefer place with more seats. More co-residents so less work burden more time to study. Remember
passing DNB is more difficult than passing MD or MS.
4. Prefer ones which have been around for some time instead of new institutes. Institutes which have
been around have stood the test of time and hence by natural selection would be better.
5. For specific institutes we recommend you to contact someone who has passed from that institute or
is working there. You can find such people easily on Facebook .
Q. Is it better to do DNB vs Diploma (eg: DNB Obstetrics vs DGO ) ?
In my opinion, it is better to do DNB then Diploma. This is because with Diploma you are half way in your
work. You are neither considered a general doctor like an MBBS guy nor a specialist like a DNB or MD
person. You lie midway. With DNB atleast you have considered a specialist.
Q. Is it true than DNB final exam is difficult to pass ?
It is difficult , not impossible. DNB Final exams are relatively difficult to pass because the exam
conducted centrally and it is properly regulated. Hence in some of the branches the passing rate is a
little poor. However, it is not impossible to pass. You just require a little more dedication compared to
MD and MS. It is said MD and MS are more difficult to get in and easier to pass, DNB is easier to get in
and more difficult to pass.
Here are the passing rate in various branches
Q. Can I get a job as Assistant professor after doing DNB ?
Now this is tricky. To become eligible to be Assistant professor, you need to have Three years of
teaching experience as a Resident according to MCI. Many of the DNB institutes are private hospital and
not attached to any medical college. If your DNB course is from a private hospital without a medical
college, then you have the degree and not the teaching experience. MD and MS are conducted in
institutes attached to medical colleges , so automatically you have a teaching experience when you are
working as a resident. This is one of the biggest advantage of MD and MS.
So when you apply for Assistant professor’s post after you DNB, you may not be eligible for the post
because of lack of teaching experience. However, if you work as a Resident in an institute attached to a
medical college, after your DNB and accumulate the required teaching experience, you can be eligible
for the post.
Q. Can you tell me which institutes are good and which are not ?
It is impossible for anyone to comment upon an institute and it would be unfair to give you half baked
information based on mere perspective because it is you future which is at stake. However my
suggestion is make a list of institutes and branches you wish you take and do some research on them by
asking people who have passed out from these institutes. Even people in doing DNB in same branch
have a fair knowledge of institutes around them. If you are well connected on facebook a search for
people on Facebook can also help you catch hold of such people whom you can contact for authenticate
Q. What do internet forums say about certain institutes ?
We have searched some good internet forums and found a list of good institutes.
PLEASE NOTE THIS INFORMATION (IN YELLOW HIGHLIGHT) IS SHARED FROM PUBLIC AND INTERNET
FORUMS. IT IS NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION NOR AUTHENTICATED INFORMATION. I PERSONALLY DO
NOT VOUCH FOR ANY OF THESE INSTITUTES
For DNB Ophthalmology-
1. Sir ganga ram, New Delhi
2, Hindurao New Delhi
3. SHROFF EYE CENTRE (SOUTH DELHI)
4. Arvind eye hospital trichy
5. Aravind Eye Hospital [Theni]371, Periyakulam Road, Theni-Tamilnadu,
6. Sri kanchi kamakoti medical trust hospital, eye centre, coimbatore.
7. Sri sathya sai institute of higher medical sciences, puttaparthi
8. Sankara eye hospital, Chennai
9. Sankara eye hospital guntur
10. HV desai eye hospital pune
11. National institute of opthalmology pune.
12. J.L.N. Hospital, Bhilai
For DNB Medicine-
1. Sir Gangaram Hospital, Delhi
2. Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Bandra, Mumbai
3. Dr. Balabhai Nanavati Hospital
4. S.V. Road, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai
5. Lisie Hospital, Ernakulam, Kerala
6. Lourde Hospital Road, Ernakulam, Kerala
7. Narayana hrudayalaya of Bangalore
8. ST.MARTHA’S HOSPITAL, NRUPATHUNGA ROAD,
9. Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai
10. Hinduja Mumbai
11. Madurai meenakshi mission hospital
12. Pushpagiri Hospital, Tiruvella, Kerala
For DNB Ortho-
1. GSK Miraj, Sangli, Maharashtra
2. Nanavati Hospital, Mumbai
3. St Martha's Hospital, Bangalore
4. KMCH, Coimbatore
5. Devdas Hospital Madurai
6. LISIE hospital, Kochi
7. Ganga Hospital,Coimbatore
8. Hosmet Hospital, Banglore
9. Tejasvini Hospital, (Mangalore)
10. Miot hospital Chennai
11. St. Stephen, Delhi
12. Sant Parmanand Hospital, Delhi
13. Port trust Mumbai
14. SPARSH bangalore
15. APOLLO chennai
16. APOLLO Hyderabad
17. Tata main Jamshedpur
18. Sir Ganga Ram hospital,delhi
19. Sundaram Medical Foundation Community Hospital, Chennai
20. INSTITUTE OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH & ACCIDENT SURGERY (IORAS) 484 B, K.K.NAGAR, MADURAI
institutes are good for DNB Paed-
1. Aditya Hospital, Hyderabad
2. Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital, Hyderabad
3. Pragna Children's Hospital, Hyderabad
4. Princess Durru Shevar Childrens Hospital, Hyderabad
5. Rainbow Children's Hospital, Hyderabad
1. Batra Hospital & Med.Res. Centre, New Delhi
2. Hindu Rao Hospital, Delhi
3. Max Super Specialty Hospital Saket, Delhi
4. Shanti Mukund Hospital, Delhi
5. St. Stephen's Hospital, New Delhi
6. Sunderlal Jain Hospital, New Delhi
7. Tirath Ram Shah Hospital, Delhi
1. K.G. Patel Children Hospital & Jayodia Res. Instt., BARODA
2. Nirmal Hospital Pvt. Ltd., Surat
1. Bangalore Baptist Hospital, Bangalore
2. C.S.I. Holdsworth Memorial Hospital, Mysore
3. Dr. Bidari's Ashwani Hospital, Bijapur
4. Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
5. Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore
6. St. Martha's Hospital, Bangalore
1. Academy of Medical Sciences, Pariyaram, Kannur, Kerala
2. Baby Memorial Hospital, Kozhikode, CALICUT
3. Kerala Institute of Medical Sciences, TRIVANDRUM
4. Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences Ltd., KOZHIKODE
5. Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre,
6. Pushpagiri Medical College Hospital, Tiruvalla
1. Bakul Parekh Children's Hospital, Chembyu, Mumbai
2. Bhaba Atomic Research Centre & Hospital, Mumbai
3. Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital & Res. Centre, Pune
4. K.E.M. Hospital, Pune
5. Mumbai Port Trust Hospital, Wadala (East), Mumbai
6. Nirmaya Hospital & Res. Centre, Satara
7.Noble Hospital, Pune
8. Shankar Institute, Pune
9. Span Critical Care Centre, Solapur
1. Apollo Hospital, Chennai
2. Dr. Mehta's Hospital Pvt. Ltd., Chennai
3. G.Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Hospital, Pappanaickenpalayan,
4. Kanchi Kamakoti Childs Trust Hospital, CHENNAI
5. Kovai Medical Centre, COIMBATORE
6. Masonic Medical Centre for Children, Coimbatore
7. Meenakshi Mission Hosp. & Res. Centre, MADURAI
8. Southern Railway HQ Hospital, CHENNAI
9. Sundaram Medical Foundation, CHENNAI
1. Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Kolkata
2. Dr. B C Roy Memorial Hospital for Children, Kolkata
For-Psychiatry- (Not in order)
1. Central Institute of Psychiatry CIP, Ranchi
2. Agra mental hospital,
3. Lokopriya Gopinath Bordoloi Regional Institute of Mental Health (Tezpur Mental Hospital)
4. Vims Speciality Hospitals in Marathahalli, Bangalore
5. Institute Of Mental Health & Neuro Science, Kuthiravattam, Calicut
6. Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences, Jhilmil, Dilshad Garden
Good Institutions for doing Anaesthesia--
1. Bhabha Atomic Research Centre Hospital , Mankhurd , MumbaiSir
2. Ganga Ram ,New Delhi.
3. KEM hospital Pune
4. all Apollo hospitals are good
5. Sri satya sai hospital, Banglore
6. Baby memorial hospital, Kerala
7. Bokaro General Hospital, Bokaro Steel City, Jharkhand
8. Fortis Hospitals, Banglore
9. Kovai Medical Centre, Coimbatore
10. Lourdes Hospital, Ernakulam
11. Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
12. Max Super Specialty Hospital, New Delhi
13. Northern Railway Central Hospital, New Delhi
14. Saifee Hospital, Mumbai
15. Southern Railway HQ Hospital, Chennai
16. Sri Sathya Sai Instt. of Higher Medical Sciences Bangalore
17. Yashoda Super Speciality Hospital, Hyderabad
Good hosp for dnb anaes-
2.Poona hosp, Pune
3.Hinduja hosp, Mumbai
4.Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore
5.Holy family, Bandra, Mumbai
these Institutions are good for Sugery-
1.Railway hospital,connaught place.
2.Deen dayal upadhyay hospital.
3.k.j.somaiya medical college,sion.
4.port trust hospital ,wadala.
1.kem hospital.(linked to bj medical college,pune)
For DNB Family medicine-
1] Sir Gangaram, Delhi
2] St Stephen's, Delhi
3] MGIMS, Sevagram, Maharashtra
4] Deenanath Mangeshkar, Pune
5] St Philomena hospital, Bangalore
6] Indira Gandhi hospital, Pondicherry
7] Bhabha Atomic Research centre, Mumbai
8] Holy Family Hospital, Mumbai
9] CMRI, Kolkata.
10] Kamineni hospital, Hyderabad.
11] Maharaja Agrasen, Delhi
12] CMRI, Kolkata
13] Guru Tegh bahadur charitable hospital, Punjab.
14] Jehangir hospital, Pune
15] Inlaks & Budhrani Hospital, Pune
16] KIMS, Andhra pradesh
17] Peerless Hospital, West Bengal
18] Medical trust hospital, Kerala
19] C.S.I. Kalyani General Hospital, Tamil nadu
20] Aditya Birla Memorial Hospital, Pune
GOOD INSTITUTES FOR DOING DNB O&G-
1. Edappal Hospitals Pvt Ltd - Malappuram - Kerala
2. Sri RAMAKRISHNA HOSPITAL,COIMBATORE
3. Jubilee Mission Medical College & Research Institute, THRISSUR
4. St Isabel Hospital in Chennai
5. Northern Railway Central Hospital, New Delhi
6. Army Hospital (R & R), Delhi Cantt-
7. BHEL Kasturba Hospital, BHOPAL
8. Bokaro General Hospital, Jharkhand
9. Govt. Medical College (Maharani Hospital) Jagadalpur Chattishgarh
10. Holy Family Hospital, New Delhi
11. Holy Family Hospital, Mumbai
12. Shri Harilal Bhagwati Municipal General hospital, Mumbai
13. South Central Railways Hospital Lallguda, Secunderabad
14. Southern Railway HQ Hospital, CHENNAI
15. St. Martha's Hospital, Bangalore
16. St. Stephen's Hospital, New Delhi
17. Yashoda Super Speciality Hospital, Hyderabad
Good Institutes for DNB Respiratory Medicine-
1. Narayana Hrudayalaya, Banglore
2. Mahaveer Jain hospital, Banglore
3. Kerala inst of medical sciences
4. Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi
Best for DNB Radio-diagnosis:
3. GB Pant
9. Columbia Asia Referral Hospital, Bangalore
10. Breach Candy Hospital Trust, Mumbai
11. Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bnagalore
12. Manipal Hospital, Bangalore
13. Kovai Medical Centre, COIMBATORE
Best for DNB Radio-diagnosis(after info by doctor17283):
4-rajiv gandhi cancer hospital
5-inprastha apollo,max,batra all are same
6-mata chanan devi hospital
Another student posted
1.NIMS ...inst is gud for al modalities..xrays 150 per day..ct 50..mri 25 to 30..us over al 150..daily us
guided procedures 10..ct guded 5..dsa..10 cases per week..tchrs r gud..positivity is high..plenty num of
sesns nd gud semnrs..gud stpnd arnd 40...but lacks obg,peds,opthl,ent,gen surg depts..fr obg nd peds ur
postd to odr hosp fr 1 mo...ovr al gud dept and inst.no mamogrphy
2.safdrjung...vry big hosp..huge case load..al dept der..al modalties dr..but u have got 8 MD nd 2 dnb
felws..stpnd arnd 58..
3.gangram..gud hosp..gud case load..stpnd 40k..acdemcs ok ok..
4.stphn..gud hosp..small dept..ok ok case load..les acdmc..stpn 32k
5.apolo chenai gud hosp..gud acdmc..but more onco cases..gen cases less.
More on Radio
1-chennai apollo speciality is good nd better than main apollo chennai, u got petct there , in mains only
64 slice ct while in speciality 128 slice , only 2mth u have to go in mains for conventional otherwise
everything in speciality
2-NIMS hydrabad and Breach candy have the best teaching.in hyderbad after NIMS,,Krishna inst,Care
I would prefer Krishna>Yahsoda>Care.
All have good patient load with CT and MR.Academics are OK.
3-preference list in delhi gangaram , apollo, st stephens . batra
Max mein cases are very less.. around 10-10 ct/mr... half normal or minimal findings... that however
goes for every corporate..
Look 4 better options.. like stephens and Rajiv gandhi... Govt n charitable ones if u want good exposure
st. stephens --- very good hospital, moreover a charity hosp, good exposure, no master health check-
ups, wish i had taken it..
----batra-- recommending u wit a heavy heart
---apollo-- Only machines are good, NO ACADEMIC WHAT-SO-EVER, NO RELIEVING
---RGCI is a govt / aided institute..
they hav a lot of pts and onco work.. stipend is more.
They do all the PET / intervention work there..
pt load is good.. machines 64 / 1.5 .. GOOD ACADEMICS.. if u r interested in delhi ,,, yes consider it.. In a
way u can be half-a superspecialist..
4-NH bangalore>Manipal bang=krishna hyd>srisatya sai bang>Care Hyd>Columbia asia Bang> Rest.
Cant rank south central railways---pay is high around 50k.Workload is good.But no idea about academics
and machines.Would be glad if someone can throw some light
5-KJ somaiya college....Stipend around 25-30K.
No MRI.Caseload is OK.Academics not good.He advised to go for a better one if possible.
6- 1) NIMS-Gangaram-St Stephens All are on par.U just need to decide which place u want to take delhi
or hyderabad?? These are the best in this session.
If u r from delhi and nearby Gangaram and stepehns have good brand name there.
2)Rajiv gandhi cancer institute and Beach Candy-If mumbai is your option.Very good institutes.
3)Narayana hrudayalaya-Kovai medical centre if u want to stay south.
4)KIMS good exposure and academics too.Less stipend.
3 and 4 are good institutes.
Q. What about 5 year combined DNB courses, are they good ?
5 year combined DNB courses are a good idea if you are sure which branch you wish to super specialize
in. These combo courses are mainly in surgical branches and they are sensible choice for those having
passion for surgery. However in surgery it is important to know if your institute does give you a hands-
on experience. You don’t want to end up in an institute for 5 years which does not give you enough
independent surgeries. Since superspeciality is the need of the hour, 5 year combo courses are a good
idea in general.
FINALLY PLEASE DO NOT SEND QUERIES ABOUT SPECIFIC INSTITUTES. I DO NOT HAVE AUTHENTIC
INFORMATION ON THEM AND IT WOULD NOT BE A GOOD IDEA MORE ME TO GIVE YOU HALF-BAKED
Hope this was helpful. Good luck and best wishes for a bright future
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD (Medicine)