2. What is Twitter? Twitter Terminology ● Messages = updates = Tweets ● Feed = your stream of messages● Twitter is a service for ● Followers = people who read people to communicate your tweets ● Following = people whose through the exchange of Tweets I read messages normally ● Profile = your public page (www. limited to 140 characters twitter.com/username) in length. ● RT = retweet, sharing someone elses message ● MT = sharing someones● Instant updates from message after modifying it friends, industry experts ● hashtag = # symbol used to and celebrities and whats group Tweets, or internal dialogue happening around the ● DM = direct, private message world. shared between two people ● @ = symbol before a users name ● d username = how to send a DM
3. Twitter Basics ● Choosing a username: A good username is the same, or similar to, your own name. If users have already claimed those names, try adding an adjective or descriptor, such as @handsomejohn or @johntheterrible. If you prefer for people not to know who you are, you can choose a name thats a bit more generic. (Most NCT accounts have NCT in them) Your Twitter name has power and influence on search engine optimization (SEO), which translates to how close to the top of a search results list you appear in a search engine such as Yahoo! or Google. Limited to 15 characters. ● Settings:Where you choose the background of your page (theme), upload an avatar (photo), choose privacy settings, set up your mobile device, notifications, Facebook options and check what apps have access to your account. ● Profile:Short biography, 160 characters, that describes you and what you do. This is also crawled by search engines. It can include links.
4. Finding People to Getting FollowersFollow ● Be authentic. Post things you ● Use Twitters "suggested would enjoy reading. Include follower feature. links. ● Browse categories of interest ● RT other people. Its like paying and follow their suggestions. a compliment. (You can always unfollow later) ● Register in wefollow.com ● Import friends from other directory services like email accounts, ● Post a good photo, username Facebook, YouTube, etc. and bio so people know who you ● Check lists of people you follow are. ● Use services like wefollow.com. ● Interact with others. Be tweepsearch.com, justtweetit. engaging. Answer questions, be com, followerhub.com, helpful. famoustext.com ● Create lists and publicize them. ● Check recommendations on ● Participate in relevant chats. "Follow Friday" ● Create "retweetable" updates - short, short links, use top 20 words...
5. Words to Tweet By20 Most RT-able words 20 Least RT-able words ● You ● Game, Watching ● Twitter ● Going ● Please, Help ● Haha, Lol ● Retweet, Please Retweet ● But ● Post ● Work ● Blog ● Home ● Social ● Night, Bed, Sleep ● Free ● Well ● Media, Social Media ● Gonna ● Great ● Hey ● 10 ● Tomorrow ● Follow ● Tired ● How to ● Some ● Top ● Back ● Blog Post, New Blog Post ● Bored ● Check Out ● Listening
6. Uses for TwitterOptions are infinite! Its still such a new technology peopleare still discovering ways to use it. ● Keep in touch with people in your industry and friends ● News aggregator, or news service ● Exchange ideas with like-minded individuals ● Keep tabs on events via hashtags #ona11 ● Monitor developments in breaking news ● Ask questions ● Conduct polls, share video and photos ● Search for information on breaking news events
7. How the NCT uses Twitter● We push our headlines● Follow locals and other news outlets● Interact with followers for news tips, customer service and story ledes● To follow sporting events, promote coverage through widgets
8. Journalists and Twitter ● Keep up with chatter (Trending Topics) ● Solicit sources (must form relationships first!) ● Search for sources, unfolding events, people checking in at locations, tweeting about meetings, etc. (Tweetbeep) ● Give readers insight into your work, or your beat ● Keep tabs on official sources (@darrelissa) ● Other uses? Storify, Networking, Muckrack.com ● TwitterStories.com