2. 1962 1971 1971
1st gen digital game
1st gen arcade game
1st gen home console
First to achieve commercial success
with their arcades and consoles
4. The golden coin-ops era
Street fighter II
10,000,000,000+ 8,000,000,000+ 6,500,000,000+ 1,120,000,000+ 500,000,000+
Typical arcade commercial
5. Game design to serve monetization
● Super intuitive controls and objectives
● Endless, race to highscore game play
● Skill based games
6. Genre innovation in the 80’s
3rd gen console that revived the dying US market
● In depth game design
● Exploration and progression as
● New “auto-save” mechanics
● Hours of gameplay
Link to arcade commercial
8. PC as a gaming platform
9. 1989 1996
3rd gen handheld
1st “casual” handheld, aiming at
girls as main consumers
● Fragmented gameplay
● Half a toy, half a game
Link to Tamaguchi commercial
Link to Game boy commercial
10. Hello casualers!
Downloaded over 150M times
Best selling PC game in all
The most popular PC game
11. Online and social - boys
Most subscribed game with 7M
2004 ● Massive multiplayer online role playing
● Game as a service (IM’s, guilds, forums)
● Sandbox, an open world
● Almost endless gameplay
12. Online and social - Girls
Biggest social game, more than
11M DAU at peak. FTP
2009 ● Using the vast FB community to go
where no game had ever gone before
● Data is a major factor on the game
● Behaviorism is another major factor
● Clever use of in app purchases
● Appeared in Time’s “50 worst
13. Shifting to mobile (2009)
New mechanics for touch
First true mobile social success
Bringing puzzles to the people!
14. And… New audience!
15. ● The Ipad brought gaming to toddlers
● Playing gamified toys
● Dominated by free to play model
16. App Stores 2014
Candy crush saga
Top grossing, a monetization
Clash of clans
Top grossing, dumbed down RTS
The app store phenomena of 2014
17. Free to play
● Games are built for short sessioned gameplay
● Game design emphasizes micro transactions
● Game design by data
● Fragmented gameplay
And.. Flappy bird clones.
18. 2013 2012 2002-
8th gen handheld
70% share of digital PC games
8th gen console presenting
amazing audio-visual experiences
19. Thoughts of the future?
● Games as a service (QuizUp)
● E-commerce games (Covet fashion)
And.. Flappy bird clones.Taking a wild guess
20. Thoughts of the future?
● New gamers migrating to more serious gameplay.
● Indie leaps forward, due to cost-effective projects
and crowdsource efforts.
● And yea, oculus rift.
Taking a more
21. Gaming is…
“Everything in the future online is going
to look like a multiplayer game”
- Eric Schmidt, Google chairman
Xbox 1 commercialDonkey kong commercial
22. Why do we love games so much?
Answers in the next lecture...