Haiku is a Japanese form of
It is written with a total of 17
The format is 5/7/5
Listen to the sample…
The sonnet is a form that has 14
lines and uses end rhyme.
Some sonnets are written in this
format: octet plus a sestet; others are
written in three quatrains and a
rhyming couplet-(two lines that rhyme).
Shakespeare was one of the more
famous sonnet writers.
Cinquain Poetry is made up
of five, usually unrhymed, lines.
The lines are written with
two, four, six, eight and two
Always giving, loving;
Inspiration, guidance, support;
Like its name implies, the
quatrain is a poem made up of
four rhyming lines.
The usual rhyme scheme for
this poem is abab.
The Butterfly & the Bee
consists of one quatrain with the
abab rhyme scheme, one with acac
and a final quatrain with bdbd.
1. Methought I heard a butterfly a
2. Say to a labouring bee: b
3. "Thou hast no colours of the sky a
4. On painted wings like me.“ b
1. "Poor child of vanity! those dyes, a
2. And colours bright and rare,“ c
3. With mild reproof, the bee replies, a
4. "Are all beneath my care. c
1. "Content I toil from morn to eve, b
2. And scorning idleness, d
3. To tribes of gaudy sloth I leave b
4. The vanity of dress.“ d
William Lisle Bowles.