Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot Device
Quick Start Guide
Sierra Wireless® W801
4G/3G Mobile Hotspot
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 1 5/26/10 12:53:37 PM
Welcome to Road Runner Mobile™ System Requirements
With Road Runner Mobile and the Sierra Wireless W801, it’s Check your computer’s system requirements to ensure
easy to enjoy a super-fast mobile Internet connection with compatibility with the W801:
almost any Wi-Fi compatible device.
Simply follow the instructions to set up and activate your Mac® OS 10.4.x or higher
personal mobile hotspot device. Then connect, sign-on and go! Windows® XP, Windows® Vista,® or Windows® 7
USB 2.0 slot (for USB cable connections only)
For device activation and Home Page access
IE® 6.0 or higher
Mozilla® Firefox® 2.0 or higher
Google Chrome™ 22.214.171.124 or higher
Apple® Safari® 2.0 or higher
Your computer and any other Wi-Fi compatible devices must
support Wi-Fi (802.11b/g).
2 Welcome System Requirements 3
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 2-3 5/26/10 12:53:37 PM
Sierra Wireless W801 Device Features A B C D E F G
Mute Switch TWC4GMobile-xxx H
LCD Display PASSWORD I
1.45MB / 00:30:45 J
LCD Display Screen Features
A Signal Strength G Battery Status
B 4G/3G Status H Wi-Fi network
USB Port Power Storage Slot C Roaming Indicator name (SSID)
I Wi-Fi network Password
J Amount of Data
F Number of duration & Message Area
4 Features Features 5
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 4-5 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM
1. Insert the battery into the W801. Plug the USB cable into the
device and connect it to the power charger. Charge the battery
for at least 3 hours, or until the Battery Status indicator is full.
2. Ensure you are in a Road Runner Mobile™ service area. 6. The LCD Screen will then prompt you to open a web page or
browser window to continue with set up. You will be automatically
3. Ensure that your computer’s Wi-Fi is turned on. directed to the Time Warner Cable Terms of Service. You must
4. To turn on the W801, press and hold the Power button for review and accept these terms the first time you use the device.
5. The W801’s LCD Screen will display the W801 Wi-Fi Network
Name and Password, and ask you to connect your computer to
the W801 Wi-Fi network.
• The W801 Wi-Fi Network Name is TWC4GMobile-xxx
• Your Password is a series of 6 random numbers
For assistance with connecting your computer to a Wi-Fi network,
refer to the How To Connect section of this Guide.
6 Getting Started Getting Started 7
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 6-7 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM
Share your W801 Wi-Fi Connection
After accepting the Terms of Service, you will have the option to You can share your connection with up to 5 other Wi-Fi compatible
connect to The Internet or go to the Home Page to customize devices. Have them connect to the TWC4GMobile-xxx Wi-Fi network
your settings. using the password found on your device. It’s that easy!
Wi-Fi Network Name Wi-Fi Network Password
You are now ready to enjoy Road Runner Mobile on the go, and share
your connection with up to 5 other Wi-Fi compatible devices!
8 Getting Started Sharing your connection 9
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 8-9 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM
Manage your Sierra Wireless W801
Change your network settings or your password
Use the Sierra Wireless W801 Home Page to view the status of the For additional information on the W801 Home Page and its features,
device and your Wi-Fi connection, change your device settings and consult the online User Guide found on the Home Page. Click the
password, receive software updates, and more. Help button and select Online Help.
You can access the Home Page whenever you are connected using
the W801. Type http://twc4gmobile into the address bar of your
In order to change settings, you are required to login using the
Admin Login tool at the top of the page. Your default admin
password is password.
10 Managing your device Managing your device 11
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 10-11 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM
How to Connect to the W801 Wi-Fi Network Support
For Windows® Vista,® Windows® XP, Windows® 2000: For detailed information about your Sierra Wireless W801 and its
1. From your desktop, click START>SETTINGS>NETWORK features, consult the online User Guide found on the W801 Home
CONNECTIONS. Page. Click the Help button and select Online Help.
2. Right-click WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION to view the
available wireless networks. For personal assistance, please contact Customer Support at
3. Select the TWC4GMobile-xxx network and click CONNECT. 888.662.4577 during regular business hours.
4. Enter your password (may be referred to as a network key) to
complete the connection. Road Runner Mobile™ Account Management
For Windows® 7: Manage your Road Runner Mobile services, track your usage, or
1. From your desktop, click START and enter “join network” in check your bill wherever and whenever works for you using the Mobile
the text box. Manager. Sign up under My Services at www.timewarnercable.com.
2. A pop-up window will display a list of available networks.
3. Select the TWC4GMobile-xxx network and click CONNECT. Warranty
4. Enter your password (may be referred to as a network key) to This Sierra Wireless W801 is covered by a limited 12-month
complete the connection. manufacturer’s warranty. A copy of the warranty is provided with
For Mac®: your original paperwork. Failure to comply with all warranty service
1. From your desktop, click the APPLE icon>SYSTEM procedures and instructions may result in additional charges. Please
PREFERENCES>WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTIONS. call Customer Support at 888.662.4577 for detailed information about
2. Select the TWC4GMobile-xxx network and click CONNECT. warranty returns.
3. Enter your password (may be referred to as a network key) to
complete the connection.
12 Connecting Support 13
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 12-13 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM
Regulatory Notices WARNING (EMI) - United States FCC Information - This equipment has
been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B computing
The design of the W801 complies with U.S. Federal Communications device peripheral, pursuant to Parts 15 and 27 of the FCC rules. These
Commission (FCC) guidelines respecting safety levels of radio limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful
frequency (RF) exposure for mobile devices, which in turn are interference in a residential installation.
consistent with the following safety standards previously set by U.S.
and international standards bodies: This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy
and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may
• ANSI / IEEE C95.1-1999, IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is
Respect to Human Exposure to Radio Frequency Electromagnetic no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.
Fields, 3kHz to 300 GHz
• National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television
(NCRP) Report 86, 1986, Biological Effects and Exposure Criteria reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on,
for Radio Frequency Electromagnetic Fields the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more
of the following measures:
• International Commission on Non-Ionising Radiation Protection
(ICNIRP) 1998, Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying • Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic Regulatory Notices fields
(up to 300 GHz) • Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from
FCC ID: N7N-MHS801 that to which the receiver is connected.
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
RF Exposure - This device is only authorized for use in a mobile application.
At least 20 cm (8 inches) of separation distance between the W801 This device complies with Parts 15 and 27 of the FCC Rules. Operation is
device and the user’s body must be maintained at all times. subject to the condition that this device does not cause harmful interference.
14 Regulatory Notices Regulatory Notices 15
BA4403.TWC-W801-Quick-Start-Guide_13.indd 14-15 5/26/10 12:53:38 PM