55 yo Female patient with history of HTN, Osteoarthritis is s/p Right knee replacement POD #6. The primary service noticed a platelet count of 50,000 today (on admission it was 200,000). You suspect HIT, and start Argatroban. You also send serological work-up for HIT. What is the next important step?
HIT antibodies also bind to endothelial cells endothelial cell injury
Blank M, Shoenfeld Y, Tavor S, et al. Anti-platelet factor 4/heparin antibodies from patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia provoke direct activation of microvascular endothelial cells. Int Immunol 2002.
1) Arepally G and Ortel T. Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia. The New England Journal of Medicine. Boston: Aug, 2006. Vol 344 (8); Pgs 809-819.
2) Warkentin T, Maurer B, Aster R, et al. Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia associated with Fondaparinux. The New England Journal of Medicine. Boston: June 2007. Vol 356 (25); Pg 2653.
3) Aster RH and Davoren A. Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis. American Journal of Hematology. 2006. Vol 81; Ppgs 36-44.
4) Warkentin T, Levine M, Hirsh J, et al. Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia in Patients Treated with Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin or Unfractionated Heparin . The New England Journal of Medicine. Boston: May 1995. Vol 332 (20); Pgs 1330-1336.
5) Muslimani A, Basma R and Daw H. Immune Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia Resulting from Preceding Exposure to Heparin Catheter Flushes. American Journal of Hematology. 2007. Vol 82; Pgs 652-655.
6) Selleng K, Warkentin T and Greinacher A. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in intensive care patients . Critical Care Med 2007. Vol 35 (4); Pgs 1165-1176.
7) Cines D, Rauova L, Arepally G, et al. Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia: An autoimmune Disorder Regulated Through Dynamic Autoantigen Assembly/Disassembly . Journal of Clinical Apheresis. 2007. Vol 22; Pgs 31-36.
8) Lubenow N. Eichler P, Lietz T, et al. Lepirudin for prophylaxis of thrombosis in patients with acute isolated heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: an analysis of 3 prospective studies . Blood 2004; Vol 104: Pgs 3072-7.
9) Lewis BE, Wallis DE, Leya F, et al. Argatroban anticoagulation in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Arch Intern Med 2003; Vol 163: Pgs1849-56.
10) Lewis BE, Wallis DE, Berkowitz SD, et al. Argatroban anticoagulant therapy in patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Circulation 2001; Vol. 103: Pgs 1838-43.
11) Chong BH and Castaldi Pa. Platelet proaggregating effect of heparin: Possible mechanism for non-immune heparin associated thrombocytopenia . Aust N Z J Med 1986; Vol 16; Pgs 715.
12) Martel N, Lee J and Wells PS. Risk for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia with unfractionated heparin and low-molecular-weight heparin thromboprophylaxis: a metanalysis . Blood 2005; Vol (106); Pg 2710.
13) Blank M, Shoenfeld Y, Tavor S, et al. Anti-platelet factor 4/heparin antibodies from patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia provoke direct activation of microvascular endothelial cells. Int Immunol 2002; Vol 12: Pg 121.
14) Warkentin TE and Kelton JG. A 14-year study of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia . Am J Medicine 1992; Vol (101): Pg 502.
15) Warkentin TE, Elavathil LJ, Hayward CP, et al. The pathogenesis of venous limb gangrene associated with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia . Ann Intern Med 1997; Vol 127: Pg 804.
16) Sheridan D, Carter C, Kelton JG et al. A diagnositic test for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Blood 1986; Vol 67: Pg 27.
17) Lo GK, Julh D, Warkentin TE, et al. Evaluation of pretest clinical score (4 T’s) for the diagnosis of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in two clinical settings . J Thromb Haemost 2006; Vol 4: 759.
18) Alsaleh KA, Al-Nasser SM, Bates SM et al. Delayed-onset HIT caused by low-molecular-weight heparin manifesting during Fondaparinux prophylaxis . Am J Hematol. 2008; Epub ahead of print.