A Healthy Chimney Follow these steps for a Healthy and Functional Fireplace
1. Clean Your Chimney Annually Over time, soot collects in your chimney and can affect your chimney’s performance. Too much soot causes poor ventilation and restricts the air flow of your chimney. With an increase of soot, small animals are attracted to your chimney and will often create nests, which only clogs your chimney even further. Investing in a chimney cap will prevent any animals from creating a home inside your chimney.
2. Open a Window While your fireplace is lit, a column of air rises up into your chimney and exits through the top. The air used in this process is from inside your home and needs to be replaced. If this problem continues unresolved, your chimney will burn sluggishly and create a great deal of smoke. A temporary solution to this is to open a window.
3. Burn the Right Type of Wood The right kind of firewood greatly influences how well your chimney performs. Seasoned wood will help your wood stove or fireplace burn cleaner and more efficiently. Wet and green wood can cause odor and smoking problems, rapid creosote buildup, and chimney fires, so it is best to stay away from these types of wood.
4. Know Your Fireplace A more enjoyable experience comes from a better understanding of your chimney. For more information, please read the following blog: Anatomy of Your Fireplace.
5. Burn Hotter Fires Fire will generally smolder due to restricted ventilation from closed doors, vets, and dampers. This causes a build of creosote on your chimney’s walls. To prevent this from happening, try to burn smaller, hotter fires so that the wood burns completely. Opening the vents and damper wide enough to admit air will help keep the temperature under control of a hotter fire.
Get Flue!To learn more about your fireplace and chimney, Schedule a Chimney Inspection with Doctor Flue, inc. Visit Us Online: www.DoctorFlue.com Call Us: 1-800-GET-FLUE
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.