1. Agenda• Who is Amazon Web Services – An overview of AWS Services• AWS solution• Cost comparison – Current VS Proposed solution • Current and projected growth stage • Cost benefits
2. Amazon Web Services In 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) began offering IT infrastructure services to businesses inthe form of web services -- now commonly known as cloud computing. One of the key benefits of cloudcomputing is the opportunity to replace up-front capital infrastructure expenses with low variable costs thatscale with your business. Businesses can instantly spin up hundreds or thousands of servers in minutes anddeliver results faster. With data center locations in the U.S., Europe, Singapore, and Japan, customers across allindustries are taking advantage of the following benefits: • Low Cost AWS offers low, pay-as-you-go pricing with no up-front expenses or long- term commitments. We are able to build and manage a global infrastructure at scale, and pass the cost saving benefits onto you in the form of lower prices. With the efficiencies of our scale and expertise, we have been able to lower our prices on 15 different occasions over the past four years. • Agility and Instant Elasticity AWS provides a massive global cloud infrastructure that allows you to quickly innovate, experiment and iterate. Instead of waiting weeks or months for hardware, you can instantly deploy new applications, instantly scale up as your workload grows, and instantly scale down based on demand. Whether you need one virtual server or thousands, whether you need them for a few hours or 24/7, you still only pay for what you use. • Secure AWS is a secure, durable technology platform with industry-recognized certifications and audits: PCI DSS Level 1, ISO 27001, FISMA Moderate, HIPAA, and SAS 70 Type II. Our services and data centers have multiple layers of operational and physical security to ensure the integrity and safety of your data.
3. AWS Solution Terms• Physical Storage – DAS, SAN, NAS• Cloud Storage – Local Instance (EC2), Elastic Block (EBS), Simple Storage Service (S3)• What do you like about your existing solution?• What don’t you like?
4. AWS offerings• Compute – Scale to meet your application demands, whether one server or a large cluster. Choose from 10+ instance sizes and a variety of operating systems. • Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) • Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR)• Storage – Utilize cost-effective solutions for storing and retrieving any amount of data, any time, anywhere. • Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) • Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)• Database – Leverage scalable database solutions, from managed MySQL or Oracle, hosted enterprise database software, or non-relational database solutions. • Amazon DynamoDB • Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS)• Networking – Customize and control your network resources, both inside and outside the cloud. • Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) • Amazon Route53
5. Concerns• Availability• Performance• Growth – 2M unique users but expect to grow to 10M in next 12 months.
6. Availability – AWS AlignmentWicked Rugby user base: US (30%), Europe (50%), and Asia (20%)AWS locations: US West (2), US East (4), Europe (2), Asia-Pacific (2)
7. Availability - Delivery16 sites around the world to serve your customers. Amazon CloudFront provides a high performance, globally distributed content delivery system.Your application can use Amazon CloudFront to easily distribute or stream content to your users with lowlatency, high data transfer speeds, no commitments, and seamless integration with Amazon S3.
8. Availability – Redundancy Built In
9. Performance• Auto Scaling • Auto Scaling allows you to automatically scale your Amazon EC2 capacity up or down according to conditions you define. With Auto Scaling, you can ensure that the number of Amazon EC2 instances you’re using increases seamlessly during demand spikes to maintain performance, and decreases automatically during demand lulls to minimize costs. - No additional charge for Auto Scaling.• Elastic Load Balancing • Elastic Load Balancing automatically distributes incoming application traffic across multiple Amazon EC2 instances. It enables you to achieve even greater fault tolerance in your applications, seamlessly providing the amount of load balancing capacity needed in response to incoming application traffic. Elastic Load Balancing detects unhealthy instances within a pool and automatically reroutes traffic to healthy instances until the unhealthy instances have been restored. Customers can enable Elastic Load Balancing within a single Availability Zone or across multiple zones for even more consistent application performance. - You only pay for what you use.• Elastic Beanstalk (Deployment) • Simply upload your application, and Elastic Beanstalk automatically handles the deployment details of capacity provisioning, load balancing, auto-scaling, and application health monitoring. At the same time, with Elastic Beanstalk, you retain full control over the AWS resources powering your application and can access the underlying resources at any time. - No additional charge for Elastic Beanstalk.• Secure • AWS is a secure, durable technology platform with industry-recognized certifications and audits: – PCI DSS Level 1, ISO 27001, FISMA Moderate, HIPAA, and SAS 70 Type II. Our services and data centers have multiple layers of operational and physical security to ensure the integrity and safety of your data. – http://d36cz9buwru1tt.cloudfront.net/pdf/AWS_Security_Whitepaper.pdf
10. Growth• Elasticity is a fundamental property of the cloud that drives many of its economic benefits.
11. Solutions• Web Applications – Host your website, whether a blog or a highly-available global website, with AWS’s scalable infrastructure platform. – Services: • Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) • Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) • Amazon CloudFront • Elastic Beanstalk • Premium Support
12. Solutions• Backup and Storage – Store data and build dependable backup solutions using AWS’s highly reliable, inexpensive data storage services.• Application Hosting – Access a reliable, on-demand infrastructure to power your applications, from hosted internal applications to SaaS offerings.• High Performance Computing – Easily run your data-and compute-intensive workloads with instant provisioning and pay-as-you go pricing.
13. Cost comparison Total Current Costs: $25K / month – $15K for hosting $10K for Akamai (Content delivery expiring in 6 months) – 8TB / monthServicesAmazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)Amazon Relational Database Service (Amazon RDS)Amazon CloudFrontAmazon ElastiCacheAmazon Route 53Amazon Simple Workflow Service (Amazon SWF)AWS Elastic BeanstalkAWS Premium Support
14. Benefits• Amazon Web Services (AWS) gives your business access to compute, storage, database, and other in-the-cloud IT infrastructure services on demand, charging you only for the resources you actually use. With AWS you can reduce costs, improve cash flow, minimize business risks, and maximize revenue opportunities for your business. – Maximize your revenue opportunities. Maximize your revenue opportunities with AWS by allocating more of your time and resources to activities that differentiate your business to your customers – instead of focusing on IT infrastructure “heavy lifting.” Use AWS to provision IT resources on-demand within minutes so your business’s applications launch in days instead of months. Use AWS as a low-cost test environment to sample new business models, execute one-time projects, or perform experiments aimed at new revenue opportunities. – Reduce costs and improve cash flow. Avoid the capital expense of owning servers or operating data centers by using AWS’s reliable, scalable, and elastic infrastructure platform. AWS allows you to add or remove resources as needed based on the real-time demands of your applications. You can lower IT operating costs and improve your cash flow by avoiding the upfront costs of building infrastructure and paying only for those resources you actually use. – Minimize your financial and business risks. Simplify capacity planning and minimize both the financial risk of owning too many servers and the business risk of not owning enough servers by using AWS’s elastic, on-demand cloud infrastructure. Since AWS is available without contracts or long-term commitments and supports multiple programming languages and operating systems, you retain maximum flexibility. And for many businesses, the security and reliability of the AWS platform often exceeds what they could develop affordably on their own.
15. Estimated cost for a 3-year termEstimated annual costs of doing it yourself, Heavy Utilization Reserved Instances andOn-Demand Instances for a customer running 35 m1.small and 10 m1.large Linux/UNIXinstances at steady state for 3 years.
16. Recommendations Unpredictable Demand : Use combination of Reserved + On-demand With Reserved Instances, the costs average to an effective hourly rate up to 58% lower than the On- Demand.
17. Instance Types
18. Basic recommendations on Instance Type• Choose the EC2 instance type that best matches the• resources required by the application• Start with memory requirements and architecture type• (32bit or 64-bit)• Then choose the closest number of virtual cores required• Scaling across AZs• Smaller sizes give more granularity for deploying to• multiple AZs