1. Social Media, PR & SEO Convergence Digital Marketing London 2011 Stephen James Lock @stevejlock
2. About Me→ First exposure to SEO in 2003.→ Worked with a number Internet start ups.→ Part of the SEMPO Institute in the UK.→ Worked with some of the World’s largest brands.→ Currently SEO Product Marketing Manager for Analytics SEO an enterprise SaaS platform.
3. Overview→ SEO overview / benefits.→ SEO / social media convergence / social ranking factors.→ Social media, PR & SEO convergence.→ Blogging & Microblogging: the sweet spots.→ Professional tips and advice from the trenches.→ The future of search.
4. A Tough Crowd Source: KPA/Zuma/Rex Features
5. SEO Overview Social media is becoming increasingly important, no longer a “nice to have” Online promotion of websites and generating links Selecting the right accounts for a large keywords is often part of Google’sthe most important algorithm part of digital campaigns Identifying technical barriers for the search engine spiders is fundamental Source: Rand Fishkin/SEOmoz.org
6. Benefits of SEO as a Channel→ Highest ROI versus any other marketing activity (Forbes).→ Direct benefits from campaign can recur for many years.→ Organic traffic drives generally the highest quality visitors to websites.→ You can optimise for brand terms that are trademarked.
7. Benefits of SEO as a Channel→ Users trust websites that rank well in major search engines.→ 46% of searches relate to products and services.→ Over 70% of visits on the web come via SEO.→ Over 90% of Internet users research products and services online. Source: fancydressball.co.uk
8. Benefits of SEO as a Channel Source: Marketing Sherpa
9. The Rise of The Smartphone Source: Flurry Analytics
10. The Rise of The Smartphone Source: Flurry Analytics
11. SEO & social media convergence
12. SEOmoz Ranking Factors Source: SEOmoz.org
13. SEOmoz Ranking Factors Source: SEOmoz.org
14. Tiger Blood + Social Media = #winning
15. PR’s evolution into digital→ Brand communications “the conversation” has shifted online.→ Communication channels are moving away from traditional media.→ Social media has become a fundamental part of PR.→ Economic pressure and the rise of blogging.
16. Social Media, PR & SEO Convergence
17. Social Media, PR & SEO ConvergenceBlogging &Microblogging a.k.a.The Blogosphere
18. Blogging & Microblogging→ Strong current themes across PR, SEO and social media.→ Blogger outreach benefits all marketing channels.→ Influential bloggers are often influential across multiple social media platforms inc. Twitter.
19. Blogging & Microblogging→ Blogger outreach often can be the highest value individual process in a campaign.→ Successful campaigns increase search engine visibility significantly.→ Search Engine Reputation Management (SERM).
20. Pro Tips: Advanced Search OperatorsEstimated over 1.9 million targets!*Power Tip: Link Gopher for Firefox*Power Tip: http://www.soloseo.com/tools/linkSearch.html
21. Pro Tips: Buzz & Real Time Analytics→ Google Alerts for generic industry terms and competitor analysis.→ Real time analytics such as Clicky & Woopra for SEO / SM.→ Google Reader / RSS feeds.→ Google Trends & Google Insights. “Piggyback” trends e.g. royal wedding.
22. Pro Tip: Influencer Mapping→ Google Blog Search & Google Profiles.→ Twitter Search, Followerwonk.com, SocialMention.com & Postrank.com.→ Industry associations & leading brands.
23. Pro Tip: Influencer Mapping→ Thought leaders / authors.→ Competitors: SEOmoz, Majestic SEO, Link Diagnosis, YSE.→ Influencer research: who do they follow? who follows them? what do they write about? successful types of content?
24. Pro Tips: Blogger Outreach Process*Power Tip: some campaigns may result in few links, yet keyrelationships can still be built from the process.
25. Pro Tips: Blogger Outreach → Ego hooks are effective. Build relationships (most important). → Don’t immediately ask for links / favours. → Transactional offerings e.g. free products to review. → Business development works well. → Guest blog posts are a great way to build links and generate the highest quality traffic.*Power Tip: research and content creation can be outsourced, butwarning please don’t try to outsource anything mission critical!
26. Pro Tips: Blogger Outreach → Leverage Twitter / LinkedIn / blog commenting. → Content that works: awards / interviews / research / surveys / link bait e.g. infographics, video, humour. → Read target blog recent posts to personalise outreach. → Invest time and resources in the highest value targets – 80/20 rule.*Power Tip: research and content creation can be outsourced. Source: garyfouse.blogspot.com
27. Pro Tips: Twitter → Focus on engagement and retweet / cite related content that is editorially strong. → Syndication & automation. Tools inc. Tweetdeck, Hootsuite, Followerwonk, Backtweets, FriendOrFollow, SocialOomph, TwitterFeed, Paper.li, Summify, TwitterCounter & Formulists. → Constant testing: variables such as scheduling posts at different times and tweeting the same tweets multiple times. → Build relationships, then ask the most influential people to follow you! IT SOUNDS STUPID, BUT IT WORKS!*Power Tip: retweeting influencers is a great way to buildrelationships. DM requests also work a treat!
28. Pro Tips: Paid Services→ SEOmoz→ SEO Majestic→ Analytics SEO→ Hootsuite→ PR Web→ Paid social media advertising:, Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, Delicious, LinkedIn, YouTube etc.
29. Pro Tips: The Future of Search→ ICANN brand signals e.g. ipad.apple to become unbeatable for ipad.→ Brand authentication to become more sophisticated e.g. LinkedIn.→ XML “author” microformat and rich snippets – schema.org. Source: scifiscoop.com
30. Pro Tips: The Future of Search→ Anchor text to decrease in value, with higher scrutiny.→ Page loading speeds.→ Data modelling / LDA & topic relevance to combat web spam.→ Exact match domains to be less valuable.→ Social media signals – “SocialRank” to match or overtake links within 24 months. Source: slurmed.com
31. Thanks for listening…Slides: www.slideshare.net/stevejlockTwitter: @stevejlock / @analyticsseoPlease use voucher code “ASEO5499” to trial 5 sites for £99…