Online Marketing Group
Developing an evidence-led strategy
Aim / rationale
“Ultimately it’s about using best practice web analytics
techniques to get more commercial value from investments in
•For analytics to be effective it must be positioned as a
process that will improve overall strategy and
•Challenge is less about technology and data and more
about people and processes.
Rules of thumb
• For example, for every US $80 spent on driving traffic to
websites companies spend only $1 converting that traffic,
according to Omniture.
• Avinash Kaushik’s 90:10 rule that you should spend $90 on
people (including education and training) for every $10 spent
on analytics tools.
• To impact positively on the wider membership by developing
best practice in measuring impact of digital marketing – links
to training, templates, online resources, etc
• Inform digital marketing strategy at VW and members of
• Disseminate best practice in Wiltshire at local/national levels
• Lead to publication of academic research and benefit delivery
of digital marketing courses at BU
Examples from Digital Destinations
What is ‘analytics’?
According to Web Analytics Association: “Web
Analytics is the measurement, collection,
analysis and reporting of Internet data for the
purposes of understanding and optimizing Web
What to measure and why?
Einstein has been attributed with the famous quotation, ‘Not
everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted’
Purpose of web analytics
• optimizing website functionality and conversion (79.7 per cent);
• analysis of past performance (73.7 per cent);
• optimizing performance of and conversions from marketing campaigns
(67.3 per cent);
• determining the best creative executions through A / B and multivariate
testing (49.8 per cent);
• baseline information for site redesign (48.6 per cent);
• predictive metrics for developing future marketing campaigns (41 per
• budgeting and planning for upcoming business objectives (32.7 per cent);
• other (5.6 per cent).
• To take into account the fuller customer journey
• Important to have a structured testing plan
• RACE table to set goals and measurement
• Attribution is a big challenge
• Suggested model for measuring impact of social media
1. General discussion to scope out the project and its aims;
timescale, frequency of meetings; online forum;
2. Preparation for next meeting; share resources; identify
knowledge gaps; review current performance and insights;
prepare draft plan with goals and KPIs; present plan at next
OMG meeting for discussion;
3. Measure digital marketing performance against the plan and
report back at next OMG meeting; review effectiveness of
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.