1. Digital Economy StrategyConsultation: LocalGovernment
2. Why are we here? • Introduction – Fergal Coleman • To discuss the digital economy and how Northern Rivers can grasp the opportunities • It’s not a meeting about the NBN – the NBN is one (important) enabler • It’s about information, discussion and ongoing involvement • We want your ideas and thoughts
3. We have already started • www.digitalnorthernrivers.com.au • Diagnostic: www.digitaleconomy.net.au • Twitter: @digital_nr • Get involved, contribute and stay up to date
4. Agenda • Introductions (5 min) • Overview of the NBN (15 min) • The digital economy (10 min) • Gov2.0 – some examples (5 min) • What the digital economy means for the region? (40 mins) • How can local government: • deliver better services • provide leadership in the community (40 mins) • Next steps (5 mins)
5. What does the NBN mean?• Faster… much, much, faster The NBN will provide 93 per cent of households broadband speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps), or about 28 times faster than most people experience today. The remaining premises (seven per cent) will be connected via a combination of wireless and satellite technologies providing peak speeds of at least 12 Mbps.• More reliable• Ubiquitous
6. NBN is a wholesalerPricing: http://www.bit.com.au/Guide/312738,nbn-prices-the-cheapest-plans-from-14-providers-compared.aspx
8. SLIDE TITLE Google Fiber here, and Singapore building this
9. We Need to Get Up to Speed
10. The NBN is not the Digital EconomyThe Digital Economy is what we decide to develop using the NBN:It involves innovation and change: new skills, new processes, newbusiness models
11. The Digital Economy is about better lives!The eight National Digital Economy Goals focus on the areas of:• Online participation by Australian households (Digital Divide)• Online engagement by Australian businesses and not-for-profit organisations• Smart management of our environment and infrastructure• Improved health and aged care• Expanded online education• Increased teleworking• Improved online government service delivery and engagement• Greater digital engagement in regional Australia.
12. Examples and new models• Households: Kansas City – 6 HD movies being streamed in one house! Digital champions, Digital divide• Shoes of Prey, Freelancer.com.au• Smart farms – UNSW Armidale, foodtraders.com.au• Mildura – Online, Fruit Ninja• Education: Coursera.org, khanacademy.com,• Increased teleworking - My company! (Anglesea, Docklands, Mumbai, Dublin)• Improved online government service delivery and engagement (next)• Big Data, 3D printing, cloud computing
13. Improved Online Government Service
14. Digital Northern Rivers1. What are the opportunities and the challenges? Consider specific to Northern Rivers under the 6 areas below • For households and community (society) in Northern Rivers • For business and not for profits • Smart management of environment and infrastructure • Teleworking • Health and aged care • Education • Discuss SWOT and document
15. Gov3.0 @ Northern Rivers1. What will your council do? • To deliver better services to the community? • To provide leadership in the community? • To facilitate the NBN rollout? Name three action your council will take in 2013?
16. Next steps• We will document the outcomes from the consultations• We will follow up individually for input• Draft strategy will be made available for comment online• Keep in touch, promote and participate at www.digitalnorternrivers.com.auThank you!