1. THE CREATIVE CHALLENGE OF RTB
Omnicom Media Group Brussels
Copyrights OMD25 March 2014
2. The Creative Agencies Are Complaining
3. Data is stifling creativity, as more decisions
are made on the basis of numbers and
insight rather than allowing original ideas.
4. There is a “creative deficit” in marketing
caused by an over-reliance on new technology…
…Consumers are growing suspicious of
“Orwellian” data collection practice.
5. The 70/30 rule: purchase decisions are made for 70%
based on emotions and for 30% on rational grounds!
6. NEED FOR CREATIVE CATCH UP
Avoid killing your target audiences with
Evolution of RTB in premium formats.
Technology: the tools should also be at
the service of big ideas!
Creative agencies are missing golden
8. ITS A WIN-WIN
• Alining media and creative has always been
successful, ever since the beginning of advertising,
why let it disappear?
• With RTB, creativity remains, but the challenge is to
link creativity to targeted audiences, to that famous
‘right person at the right place at the right time’ !
• Creativity + RTB provides brand marketeers much
better results and at the same time offer consumers
a meaningful experience = relevance + enjoyable!
9. WHAT IF WE DON’T COMBINE
CREATIVITY AND RTB ?
10. For many marketeers
RTB Will Remain
A Technical Mystery
11. SOME FINE EXAMPLES
OF HOW IT CAN BE DONE?
12. The Banner That Talks To You - JWT
13. The Banner That Talks To You - JWT
14. Copyrights OMD
15. Copyrights OMD
16. Copyrights OMD
17. TV3 – Première League
1. Second screen: 77% currently using
another device (mobile, laptop, tablet)
while watching TV.
2. via RTB: hit every device active
1 hour before a match would start,
max coverage with a frequency of 10
3. TV3 leading with 56,4% share
18. Objectif: quality trafic
+200% quality trafic vs
Video + supporting banners
19. Copyrights OMD
20. Copyrights OMD
21. Copyrights OMD
22. Copyrights OMD
23. First RTB skin in Italy
24. WHAT NOW ?
25. "It's part of our responsibility to talk about what it can deliver as a
communications strategy, and to work with creative agencies to
deliver that strategy and use the tools, rather than focusing on what
the tools do.
(Veerle De Lombaerde, global product director of The Exchange Lab.)
26. Give agencies the freedom
necessary to generate ideas.
Data and creative ought to be able to
Offer the consumer a real and
THE CHALLENGES AHEAD