Step 1: Develop an Idea!
Limited Only By Imagination
• Report a story you’re passionate about.
• Send a freelance pitch to many editors.
• Create an ongoing beat - support your
• Propose maps, data sets and more.
• Click “Start a Story” to begin.
Contact: Info@spot.us to brainstorm!
Step II: Build a Pitch
• If you have the idea - it’s as easy as clicking a
button and ﬁlling out some ﬁelds.
On Creating a Pitch
Click “start a story” (it’s that easy to start)
•Give us the nut graph. Why should we care?
•Create a YouTube video (good example).
•Story telling is your greatest asset.
Show your passion and expertise.
They are funding you as well as the story.
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!
Never hesitate to contact info[at]spot[dot]us
What Pitches Work best?
•Stories thatPublic service journalism returns!!!
invoke a sense of civic good.
•Giving a community news/information that
would otherwise remain hidden.
FOIA the local university for fun ;)
•Relates to or has potential to build a
community of support.
Be an honest reﬂection...
Never give up, never surrender
Email email@example.com if you want to chat!