Idaho Conference on Recreation and Tourism in Lewiston, Idaho. May 5, 2011 break-out sesssion," Creating a Unique Foodie Destination". Moya Shatz's presentation, Exec. Director of the Idaho Wine Commission.
• Ancient Lake Idaho• 1865 - Idaho Statesmans article reported on Vineyard beingplanted• 1872 - Grapes planted in the Clearwater Valley by 2 Frenchmen anda German• Received National Exposure and many awards• Industry was booming
1919 - The Boom came to a halt Prohibition lasted 13 years While the rest of the country reignited after prohibition, Idaho lacked behind Hindered by state government liquor laws
1970 - Industry begins again Vineyards planted along the Snake River in Southern Idaho Wineries open
Approved April 2007 Boundaries Ancient Lake Idaho 8,263 Square miles Soil similar to Washington, but we have the lake and elevation 600-3100 ft. vineyard elevation
Northern IdahoLush, green mountains withannual rainfall nearly 40-50” peryear. Southern Idaho Semiarid desert with 10-12” of rain per year.
43 Wineries 56 Vineyards 2 New Wineries in the Past 12 months 1600 Acres Planted 230,297 Cases Produced in 2009 3300 Tons Harvested Ranked 22nd in the country for number of wineries
Rebranding Idaho Wine Month Tour Brochure Savor Idaho Website Media Tours Statewide Map Media Impressions Co-Op Ads Social Media
Purpose Drive people to wineries Educate Show beauty of Idaho wine country Attract new wineries and growers
● Proclaimed by Governor Otter● Encourage wineries, wine shops, businesses who support the wine industry to have specials pertaining to wine● Create unifying marketing materials
● 900 Attendees● Sold Out● 30 Wineries, 22 Restaurants, 17 Sponsors, 5 Exhibitors, 8 Media Outlets
● Festival at Sandpoint ● Seattle Food & Wine Experience● Sun Valley Wine Auction ● Various Local● Sun Valley Harvest Organization’s Events Festival ● Idaho Business Review● Denver Wine Festival ● Boise Chamber of● Unified Grape & Wine Commerce Symposium
● Mother’s Day – May 8● Savor Idaho – June 12● Boise Rec Fest - June 25-26● Sun Valley Wine Auction – July 23● Festival at Sandpoint – August 14● Eagle Food and Wine Festival – August 28● Sun Valley Harvest Festival – September 23-25● Taste of Harvest – September 25● Wine America - November